5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

brown smoke???

Old 01-02-2007, 05:07 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

Default brown smoke???

just got the stang back from the body shop the other day and today i was out showing the streets a little lovin'.. my mom turned on the road be hind me as i was getting on it and she said there was brown smoke that shot out the exhaust right when i got on it. so to verify this i had my dad drive it and get on it a few times while i followed and sure thing right when you hit the gas brown smoke comes out... the car has been sitting since august and the shop only started it long enough to move it around, so i was thinking that it was just some carbon build up that the cars trying to get rid of.

anyone have any better idea of what it could be? had to take the car back to the shop (they messed a few things up) so when i get it back next month i was thinking about some sea foam, is there anything that sea foam can hurt?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:10 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: brown smoke???

Why would a shop have your car for 5 months???
Old 01-02-2007, 05:15 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

If it has been sitting awhile, youcould have some buildup in there. Probably have some other things I would check out too just to keep it running nice... Get rid of the old gas, old oil, let it warm up to burn off some buildup, etc.

As far as seafoam, it can't realyl damage anything that isn;'t already broken. A good example is sparkplugs. Sometimes the the plugs can be so shot that the carbon is the only thing actually allowing it to spark. If you burn that off, the plug will no longer fire. But in that situation, you needed a new plug anyway, you just didn't know it before.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:15 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

well ittook less than a month for them to do the work (car was a side job for them) the rest was them waiting on me to finish paying them ( money is real tight)
Old 01-02-2007, 05:20 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

car had about 1 gallon of gas when it went there so i put a few in it so the old gas is long gone...and i'll change the oil after the seafoam since your suppose to change it after anyway (i think) and the car was plenty warm and i'll prolly have some fun and blow all that buld up out and hope thats all it needs, plugs are only about6 months old and it sat for 5 of the months
ORIGINAL: samseed101

If it has been sitting awhile, youcould have some buildup in there. Probably have some other things I would check out too just to keep it running nice... Get rid of the old gas, old oil, let it warm up to burn off some buildup, etc.

As far as seafoam, it can't realyl damage anything that isn;'t already broken. A good example is sparkplugs. Sometimes the the plugs can be so shot that the carbon is the only thing actually allowing it to spark. If you burn that off, the plug will no longer fire. But in that situation, you needed a new plug anyway, you just didn't know it before.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

Samseed, I respect you...but can you explain how that could ever be possible? Carbon can prevent a plug from sparking, but not enable it to. Did you know that if there is a single trail of carbon going from the spark plug casing, at the bottom of the porcelain insulator, to the electrode, the plug will not fire? I have heard of Seafoam fouling plugs with carbon though.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:20 PM
ModularFox
Banned

the ford dealership has had my car for 4 months, not because i cant pay it off, but because their taking their sweet time, i stop in about every day to keep on their asses, and its just going into paint this week. wonder if my car will smoke brown when its done.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:00 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

it's only when i first romp on it, kinda like some built motors blow black (rich) when they load the motor on the line and then launch the car
ORIGINAL: ModularFox

the ford dealership has had my car for 4 months, not because i cant pay it off, but because their taking their sweet time, i stop in about every day to keep on their asses, and its just going into paint this week. wonder if my car will smoke brown when its done.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:13 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Plugs could be fouled up. If it was only started up then shut down for a long period of time the plugs probably got a lot of crap deposited on them.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:14 AM
Li0nHart
3rd Gear Member

way off the wall here but how about rust in your exhaust pipes and muffler? that might make reddish brown smoke for a bit....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brown smoke???