5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

idle air control

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 09:10 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: idle air control

ORIGINAL: mattdel

also just unplugging it will cause it to die
not completely correct... I run my car frequently with no IAC. I have infact installed a relay in the main ground wire for the IAC motor so that it only functions when my motor is cold. I can turn it on and off whenever I like. On rainy days my car will nto idle under 1800rpms and I still have yet to figure out why, but having it unplugged does not mean the motor will not run.

I HAD driven my car for about 2 months with the IAC disconnected, the only thing i had to do was keep my foot on the gas while it was warming up. Once the car reached operating temps, it ran fine
Old 01-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

also just unplugging it will cause it to die
Only if your idle screw is turned out too far.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:47 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

I would love to hook up an NGS and a breakout box on Adder's rig. LOL! " on rainy days it idles at two grand".....
Dude, okay. So, I like thecreativitywith the IAC control circuit eventhough first impression would make me think that the duty cycle would mess with the relay contacts......but I buy it. Buuuuut, you got somethin going on there, man. I mean.......humidity....? cooler air...? lower barometric pressure....? water all over the car....? yeah, I bet you got some interesting things going on. I haven't even checked my car for codes. I know the CEL don't work but I'm looking foreward to seeing if my car even runs in closed loop.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:51 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

he's running a megasquirt he can do whatever he wants to it
Old 01-02-2007, 11:02 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

I would love to hook up an NGS and a breakout box on Adder's rig. LOL! " on rainy days it idles at two grand".....
Dude, okay. So, I like thecreativitywith the IAC control circuit eventhough first impression would make me think that the duty cycle would mess with the relay contacts......but I buy it. Buuuuut, you got somethin going on there, man. I mean.......humidity....? cooler air...? lower barometric pressure....? water all over the car....? yeah, I bet you got some interesting things going on. I haven't even checked my car for codes. I know the CEL don't work but I'm looking foreward to seeing if my car even runs in closed loop.
what what what???? im so confused... My car has no codes stored. It only idles high when its wet out... And if I unplug the IAC my rpms drop to ~750.. thats where i set my base idle screw.

And mattdel, I dont have the MS in the car yet... been too busy, and its my DD
Old 01-02-2007, 11:08 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

what what what???? im so confused... My car has no codes stored. It only idles high when its wet out... And if I unplug the IAC my rpms drop to ~750.. thats where i set my base idle screw.

And mattdel, I dont have the MS in the car yet... been too busy, and its my DD
i hear that. my explorer fell apart right after i bought this. good timing in a way, but this car wasnt even supposed to see the road until it was finished. now its my DD.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:15 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

I'm not concerned with your codes.I want to see some of your PIDs , eventhough most of them aren't able to be seen with EECIV systems as old as ours.
I mentioned that,eventhough Iwas eager to see your junk, I hadn't even seen my junk.
......Yeah. I was making a comment about it idling high only when wet...... I wonder why it only does itwet.... right?

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to be a snappy little know-it-all *****.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:31 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

well we had a 3 week period where all ti did was rain, and when i would be rolling, but clutched or even in neutral, my car would idle at like 1800rpms.. it would drive me nuts

then i would stop the car, and it would drop to like 1100 but never go down to 750~800
So i unplugged the damn thing and said the hell with it.. i never got around to fixing it because im too lazy... hahah its not that its bad, i just unplug it when it pisses me off. It hasnt been so bad lately!