5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

solid tranny mount or poly mount for a wc t-5

Old 01-03-2007, 12:11 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

Default solid tranny mount or poly mount for a wc t-5

about to change tranny mount on a world class t-5. just thought about solid mount and i have heard of poly mount. wondering if anyone is running either and what some of the pros and cons are on them. thanks guys
Old 01-03-2007, 12:13 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: solid tranny mount or poly mount for a wc t-5

poly is better...
Old 01-03-2007, 12:19 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

thats what i thought adder, is there any mods that must be done or will it bolt right back in place of the stock vulcanized rubber one.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:20 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

should be a direct replacement
Old 01-03-2007, 12:21 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

poly is better...
Actually solid is better because it allows more torque to be transfered to the wheels. A poly mount will allow less vibration through the chassis though and is much more suitable for daily driving.

If you have a poly trans mount, make sure you have poly motor mounts or solid motor mounts. If you have a solid trans mount make sure you have solid motor mounts. If you had rubber motor mounts and a solid or poly trans mount the motor would twist from torque on the motor mountsmount and the trans would be held in place because of the stiffer mount and you would risk cracking the trans case.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:25 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

poly is better...
Actually solid is better because it allows more torque to be transfered to the wheels. A poly mount will allow less vibration through the chassis though and is much more suitable for daily driving.

If you have a poly trans mount, make sure you have poly motor mounts or solid motor mounts. If you have a solid trans mount make sure you have solid motor mounts. If you had rubber motor mounts and a solid or poly trans mount the motor would twist from torque on the motor mountsmount and the trans would be held in place because of the stiffer mount and you would risk cracking the trans case.
yea, there is always miscommunication with when i say something is better than something else....

my car is a DD, so i go for comfort... solids are great, they never wear out, but i have a massage chair at home.. I dont need one in my car as well!
Old 01-03-2007, 12:30 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

poly is better...

yea, there is always miscommunication with when i say something is better than something else....

my car is a DD, so i go for comfort... solids are great, they never wear out, but i have a massage chair at home.. I dont need one in my car as well!
Its not that bad if your car doesn't have a cam but if it has a cam I hope you never try driving with ahang over. You'd hate yourself especially if you got stuck in traffic.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:22 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

i'll agree with all of this except the maybe cracking the tranny case... you WOULD crack the case its just a matter of how long it would take... all of you bushings should match the only exception i can see is a softer one on the tranny then the motor has, but that doesn't do a damn thing. iagree with adder,solid for a weekend warrior or track car, and poly for a DD

poly is better...

Old 01-03-2007, 02:12 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i jsut put solids on my vert there not that bad vibrations wise
Old 01-03-2007, 02:14 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

thanks for the input guys, im probly going with the solid because i have solid motor mnts. and its a street car but only when someone wants a $ race. the rest of the time its track car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: solid tranny mount or poly mount for a wc t-5