5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oil pan woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:12 PM
pizzarolls
2nd Gear Member

Default oil pan woes

i was talking to a friend about my oil pump dying and such when he told me to drain the iol check it for metal shavings and drop the pan. Do i have to hoist the motor to drop the oil pan? i think i do.... im planning on doing it when i get home from work in 2 hours and just want to know what im getting into.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:13 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

Default RE: oil pan woes

motor has to go up like 3-4 inches i think to get it out
Old 01-03-2007, 05:15 PM
pizzarolls
2nd Gear Member

awwww god....theres gonna be hoists involved and tools and greasy stuff. i really cant wait.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:24 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Yes, you will need to jack the motor up a good 3-5 inches, you'll need a cherry picker, because you cant jack the motor from under neath (where the oil pan is). You can make an engine cradle out or some 4x4's and brace it over the strut towers and use truck tie downs to hoist it up,(done it but not the safest)and lower it back down after the swap with a jack. Be prepared to clean the floor... lol it's messy![8D]
Old 01-03-2007, 05:27 PM
pizzarolls
2nd Gear Member

i'm really looking forward to this now......dont think i'll try the "hoist " method, but any tips to make it easuer are greatly appreciated. I expect my keyboard to be covered in 10w-30 by the end of the night.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:39 PM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

I didn’t know if the photos would show up so I put them here. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/791057/15

You can get away with an engine lift, but it leaves very little room to work under thecar. Reason I fabbed up a quick and dirty hoist out of 2x4’s and tow straps.
1.) Remove the (2) bolts that secure the rack to the K-member
2.) Loosen the pinch bolt on the steering shaft.
3.) Slide rack forward and down far enough for the oil pan to clear.
4.) Drain coolant
5.) Remove upper radiator hose. You won’t be able to raise the motor high enough w/out over stretching or breaking this hose.
6.) Remove fan and shroud. The oil pan hits the shroud.
7.) Loosen the (2) trans nuts, but DO NOT remove them. You want the nuts partially threaded on otherwise it might pop out of the holes and make it a royal PITA to line back up.
8.) Remove the motor mount nuts.
9.) Raise motor until the bell housing hits the firewall.
10.) Once raised, put blocks of wood between the motor mounts and k-member as a safety measure. You don’t want the engine lift to accidentally unlock and drop the motor while your hands are in there.
11.) Remove all the oil pan bolts.
12.) Drop pan, but do not remove yet.
13.) Unbolt the oil pump and let it drop into the pan.
14.) With the pump in the pan you can now remove the pan. Slide forward, angle down, then out she comes.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:06 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Thanks Jeff, you know what I'm talking about you crazy bitch!
Old 01-04-2007, 11:37 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ROYAL PITA ! NOTHING LESS

take the Radiator out.

also the pan will ony drop so far, the pickup tube bolts have to be removed before the pan will clear it from the motor and and cant really see them, just feel them.

You sure the pump went out and you dont just need the shaft, or perhaps you have a bad sending unit?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:41 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JeffUtica

I didn’t know if the photos would show up so I put them here. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/791057/15

You can get away with an engine lift, but it leaves very little room to work under thecar. Reason I fabbed up a quick and dirty hoist out of 2x4’s and tow straps.
1.) Remove the (2) bolts that secure the rack to the K-member
2.) Loosen the pinch bolt on the steering shaft.
3.) Slide rack forward and down far enough for the oil pan to clear.
4.) Drain coolant
5.) Remove upper radiator hose. You won’t be able to raise the motor high enough w/out over stretching or breaking this hose.
6.) Remove fan and shroud. The oil pan hits the shroud.
7.) Loosen the (2) trans nuts, but DO NOT remove them. You want the nuts partially threaded on otherwise it might pop out of the holes and make it a royal PITA to line back up.
8.) Remove the motor mount nuts.
9.) Raise motor until the bell housing hits the firewall.
10.) Once raised, put blocks of wood between the motor mounts and k-member as a safety measure. You don’t want the engine lift to accidentally unlock and drop the motor while your hands are in there.
11.) Remove all the oil pan bolts.
12.) Drop pan, but do not remove yet.
13.) Unbolt the oil pump and let it drop into the pan.
14.) With the pump in the pan you can now remove the pan. Slide forward, angle down, then out she comes.
That should be stickied somewhere........
Old 01-04-2007, 12:56 PM
pizzarolls
2nd Gear Member

i suppose it could be the shaft or sending unit...i dont really know. I drove the car bout 20 miles from my house after warm up......then the pressure just stoped at idle. I want beating it and there was plenty of oil in it....so how do i check if its the sending unit or shaft.....or do i still have too drop the pan?

Quick Reply: oil pan woes