5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EGR REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

Default RE: EGR REMOVAL

I thought the plug makes the computer think the egr is closed all the time.

Estasy: How did you get the egr delete spacer on there? I have one and I tried to put it on but the throttle cable bracket hits the coolant lines that go to the heater core.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:40 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

So basically the only thing that plug does it stop the CEL from comming on?
I would like to know too
Old 01-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

So basically the only thing that plug does it stop the CEL from comming on?
I would like to know too
Yep....the system needs an EGR failure code on which to base its decision to eliminate its function, that's the alternate failure strategy it uses when it detects an EGR failure.....+ prevent engine ping due to the additional spark advance a functioning-code free EGR system requires......the only difference with a code 33 (332), is that the CEL will not light up....the other EGR codes will.

ORIGINAL: aode06
do ONLY hard codes or keep alive memory codes effect a/f ratio? OR BOTH
aka the ones that set the light, and the ones that only appear in a scan
Depends on the type of circuit + the number of failing components....for example, a MAF failure (56, 26, 66) will cause the system to use the TPS change in voltage to "calculate-estimate" load, a failure in the ACT will cause the system to use an estimation based on the ECT reading, etc, etc.....in other words, there are variations in the "limp mode" strategy it selects.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:28 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

So technically, you could just unplug the sensor and it would be the same as the simulator, minus the CEL, right? All the simulator does is keep the light off, right? The rest (elimination of the function) is done atomatically be the computer, right? I just want to get this straight, my CEL is burnt out, and I have eliminated my EGR by keeping the sensor inplace, minus valve, with the plunger held part way in, but I wanted to get a simulator to do it right...but if all it does is keep the light off....I don't have that problem. Sorry about the run on, and on, and on...but I have wondered this for a while.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

So technically, you could just unplug the sensor and it would be the same as the simulator, minus the CEL, right? All the simulator does is keep the light off, right? The rest (elimination of the function) is done atomatically be the computer, right? I just want to get this straight, my CEL is burnt out, and I have eliminated my EGR by keeping the sensor inplace, minus valve, with the plunger held part way in, but I wanted to get a simulator to do it right...but if all it does is keep the light off....I don't have that problem. Sorry about the run on, and on, and on...but I have wondered this for a while.
[sm=exactly.gif]
Old 01-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Glasersil
3rd Gear Member

Whats the point of doing this? Any HP?
Old 01-05-2007, 04:25 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Glasersil

Whats the point of doing this? Any HP?
ok correct me if im wrong doesnt this do little or nothing for the performance of the engine???
infact when i blocked of the egr on a 2.3l and tried it with th egr plugged in and not plugged in the car ran like shyt either way i did it and same when i did it on a efi 5.o! both motors ran alot worse
Old 01-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

EGR is never used at idle or under WOT conditions....it's a part-throttle emissions control device.....so no, performance is not affected.....
Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

simulator = no CEL
To delete EGR = unplug EGR sensor

Just making sure bc you can play with the plugger on the sensor with my engine and if it is all the way out (EGR open) the car runs like crap and if you push it in half way (EGR closed) it runs great. I just want to make sure before I do anything.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:02 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

[sm=exactly.gif]
By that, I would assume you could just unplug it.

Quick Reply: EGR REMOVAL