5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Suspension recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:26 AM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

Default Suspension recommendation

I need new shocks and struts so i figure i should get new springs while i'm at it. planning on getting these:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS
I don't know anything about control arms but i find that BBK has good quality products, would u guys recommend these?
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS
my car sags a little on the driver side (i know i'm not alone here). would i need some type of bushing or spacer to correct this?
thanks

'90 GT hatch, almost stock
Old 01-04-2007, 10:43 AM
bdwjdw
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension recommendation

That should work well
Old 01-04-2007, 10:46 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

That spring/shock/strut kit is reasonably priced it'll be good for a nice street setup. As for control arms, look at UPR, they have really nice products at reasonable prices. As for the sagging, the new springs and spring isolators should cure that. Look into Energy Suspension for isolators, or summit/jegs carries oem rubber replacements.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:10 AM
almostfast89

hey, did anyone have an answer to the driver side sag? its killing me.... it seems like about 1 1/2" lower than the pass. side. can that really be just springs, if so, why does the driver side sag and not the pass. in all these cars?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:38 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: almostfast89

hey, did anyone have an answer to the driver side sag? its killing me.... it seems like about 1 1/2" lower than the pass. side. can that really be just springs, if so, why does the driver side sag and not the pass. in all these cars?
The sagging can happen....maybe the previous owner liked Taco Bell......................A LOT.

I would choose a different setup if it were me..... You can get the Tokico HP shocks/struts for $227 shipped from jdmwerks on ebay, and you can get some good springs for $190-220. I know it's a little more than the 50resto kit, but I would be more concerned w/ quality when it comes to my suspension. Find a few different sets of springs that you like (H&R, Eibach, Steeda, etc.), get the p/n's for each set and then google them w/ the name brand next to the #. I've found much better deals running searches like that than you will at the mainstream online stores.

I went w/ the UPR Chrome Moly U/L control arms...I got them (shipped) for $193, which is a great deal.

Call JD's performance or Art's performance.....they will give you better deals over the phone than you can get online.......

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:41 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

That spring/shock/strut kit is reasonably priced it'll be good for a nice street setup. As for control arms, look at UPR, they have really nice products at reasonable prices. As for the sagging, the new springs and spring isolators should cure that. Look into Energy Suspension for isolators, or summit/jegs carries oem rubber replacements.
OPEN YOUR EYES AND READ!!! get under there and inspect for a cracked broken spring, missing worn out isolator etc.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:27 PM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

i just bought: bbk rear control arm kit, upper and lower, bbk rear spring isolators polyurethane, and 50resto spring shock and strut kit. $780 shipped (ouch)
i can barely afford these so anything higher wouldnt have been possible.

i will post again when i get it all installed and let you know if its worth the price

also, how much should i be charged to put this all in? rough estimate of course since all areas/mechanics are diff.

thanks guys
Old 01-05-2007, 05:53 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nseoi

i just bought: bbk rear control arm kit, upper and lower, bbk rear spring isolators polyurethane, and 50resto spring shock and strut kit. $780 shipped (ouch)
i can barely afford these so anything higher wouldnt have been possible.

i will post again when i get it all installed and let you know if its worth the price

also, how much should i be charged to put this all in? rough estimate of course since all areas/mechanics are diff.

thanks guys
You should notice a huge improvement in handling w/ those parts!!! It'll probably feel like a whole new car in fact. You should probably expect to pay 400-500 to have that all installed for you. Try to find someone local that knows their stuff and have them help you out w/ it.