5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Power lock clarification--- Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:15 AM
avsnake

Default Power lock clarification--- Newbie

Hi all first post here. I want to clarify some things about the power locks. Yes I have used the search but need clarification. I just bought a 1990 5.o lx from original owner 90,000 original miles.both locks do not work from either door. I cannot hear actuators attempting to move. It is hard as hell to lock and unlock the doors manually. I have checked and power is getting to the switch. qustions-- manual says check starter relay solonoid how do I know if this is bad? If both door locks don't work is it the actuators? lastly I read you can get them out without drilling out the rivots is this true or not. soory sooooooooooooo long. anyways I already installed 373 gears, and am in the process of prepping it for paint in my garage. wilol post pics later. thanks in advance for some help.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:18 AM
PX429
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Power lock clarification--- Newbie

It's very rare for both of them to go out at the same time. nowyouchecked the power to the relay and from the relay right? did you also check the power to and from the switch?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:22 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

The actuators are bad. My right door is that way. Check out www.50Resto.com you need part number LRS-21842K. Kit includes 2 new actuators, 24 door panel clips, and 2 rivets.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:29 AM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

i just did mine last night. got the kit from 50resto. both of mine were seized up and was not able to turn the key to lock doors so i had the actuators removed until i could afford to change them. the kit comes with the rivets so you can change the hanger the actuators attach to but if you don't have a large style rivet gun you can't change the hangers. i left my old hangers in there and just slipped the actuators in. the kit comes with several different size rods for the top of the acuator; my 89 used the shortest s-shaped one. one other tip is to have the window in the rolled up position before you remove the door panel stuff so you will be able to get your hand in there to the actuator.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:40 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dillon1340

i just did mine last night. got the kit from 50resto. both of mine were seized up and was not able to turn the key to lock doors so i had the actuators removed until i could afford to change them. the kit comes with the rivets so you can change the hanger the actuators attach to but if you don't have a large style rivet gun you can't change the hangers. i left my old hangers in there and just slipped the actuators in. the kit comes with several different size rods for the top of the acuator; my 89 used the shortest s-shaped one. one other tip is to have the window in the rolled up position before you remove the door panel stuff so you will be able to get your hand in there to the actuator.
those things are a bish, i couldnt open my damn drivers door cus it got stuck an i had to remove the pannel with the door closed!!they dont slip out of the hangers very nice. i still havent replaced mine even though i have a newer actuator from the junkyard, gotta buy the rivet, i have the rivet gun, is it a special rivet????
yes both urs are prolly out, rare but if its hard to turn the door lock yes, they are starting to seize up, u might try removing the pannels and spraying the lil twisty shaft that goes up and down inside the actuator with wd40 and it might free up, mine was stuck all the way and i tore it out before i thought of this, give it a try, save u some cash if it works!!!they are easy to spray with a wd40 can with the straw
Old 01-05-2007, 01:22 PM
avsnake

Thanks for the replies ---- where is the starter relay, and how do I know if it is bad? anyone have a pic of the relay? Anyone have an idea to check if the actual switches are bad.I know there is power getting to the plug where the switch plugs into. since there is power getting this far would that rule out the starter relay?
Old 01-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Valcore
3rd Gear Member

Hey, I didn't want to start a new thread. So ill add to this one....

I am also changing the actuators out, however i am having trouble getting the old one out. I have never worked with rivets and i don't have a rivet gun so im trying to get the actuator out without removing he holder. I can't get the rod out of whatever it is attached to, any tips?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Valcore
3rd Gear Member

anyone?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:50 PM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

if you been struggling with it and it wont come out then maybe you can just cut the rod that comes out of the top of the actuator. it was a long time ago when i took mine out but i do remember having a hard time with it at first. putting them back in the other night wasn't that bad for the most part. you should be able to see in there and know whether the open part of bracket is on top or bottom. then you will know which way to tug.

they are big rivets that hold them in. i wish i had the gun for it because my old brackets were kinda oversized from being in there a while and at first when i would lock or unlock the door it would pop out of the bracket.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:38 PM
93stangz
1st Gear Member

pull the actuator down out of it's holder then take the rod off