5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 11:30 PM
bl28ma

Default oil pressure

What for oil pressure are yougetting on the 5.0 HO motor? When its cold? Or warm? At an idle?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:45 AM
deanzawistowski
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: oil pressure

when driving mines usually halfway up the gauge, when idiling is usually foes down some, it goes up to when i accelerate
Old 01-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

I get 60psi when cold, 50psi when warm and above 2 grand, and 25psi when warm at idle. For reference, I just found out today that my Chilton's manual specifies oil pressures for our engines. It says 40-60psi @ 2k rpms.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:33 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

^^that is what I get.

Hey, twisted, the Sea foam didn't help with my oil consumption(remember?) Did that oil separator help with yours?
Old 01-06-2007, 01:39 AM
95hooptey
3rd Gear Member

I told him to use the BLUE bottle of STP..............

Come on Twisted......just listen to me for once........I am not trying to rap or make a fool of myself. I promise that stuff works.

It conditions the rings and seals.........just do it for a few oil changes. After your done I will gladly accept your thanks......
Old 01-06-2007, 04:39 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Hey fellas. 5.0stanger, yeah I remember. You ran the Seafoam in your oil right? Sorry it didn't help; I guess stuck rings weren't the problem. I don't think my oil separatoris really having an effect on the amount of oil I go through; it just keeps the oil out of my intake. The car seems to run better overall, since adding the separator. One thing I have learned is that the separator collects a LOT more oil if you take the filter and cyclone piece out. With the filter in, the separator barely collected anything. Now that you mention it, my consumption does seem to have decreased since taking the filter out (even thoughthe separatorcollects more oil). But I also changed my low oil sensor at the same time that I took the filter out, so I can't be sure which is causing less oil to be consumed/leaked. It stands to reason that taking the filter out of the separator has altered the flow velocity of my pcv system, thus having had an effect on oil consumption. I don't know. I do know that, with the filter in, the separator had no effect on oil usage. It's a good mod regardless. How much oil did you say your car is using?

Hooptey, yeah, I've been keeping that STP stuff in mind...incase I ever need it. The car runs so well, and has such good oil pressure, that I've been reluctant to use any additives. The other thing is, as I said to Stanger, I just replaced my low oil sensor, which was leaking, and my oil usage seems to have dropped. I won't know for sure for another few hundred miles though.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:00 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I was usning a quart about every 1000 miles, give or take 250 depending on how I drove it. I am getting oil up in my intake aswell and was going to add a separator. When you speak of a filter, what do you mean, the filter in the separator or the metal mesh one below the PCV?
Old 01-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

I was usning a quart about every 1000 miles, give or take 250 depending on how I drove it. I am getting oil up in my intake aswell and was going to add a separator. When you speak of a filter, what do you mean, the filter in the separator or the metal mesh one below the PCV?
I'm talking about the filter element that's inside of oil separators. It feels like it's made of stone or something. So, burning that much oil, have you had any problems with pinging? I've been having some mild pinging lately, and am wondering if it's from years of burning oil through the pcv system.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:02 PM
ModularFox
Banned

ORIGINAL: Twisted

I get 60psi when cold, 50psi when warm and above 2 grand, and 25psi when warm at idle. For reference, I just found out today that my Chilton's manual specifies oil pressures for our engines. It says 40-60psi @ 2k rpms.
+1
Old 01-06-2007, 06:19 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

I'm talking about the filter element that's inside of oil separators. It feels like it's made of stone or something. So, burning that much oil, have you had any problems with pinging? I've been having some mild pinging lately, and am wondering if it's from years of burning oil through the pcv system.
Now that you mention it, it has bugun to ping here and there, but I just figured it was bad gas everyonce in a while. I wouldn't mind just eleminating the PCV all together. Look at this link about pcv set ups http://mustangpartstech.com/PCVOilControl.html

Quick Reply: oil pressure