5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hooked suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:39 AM
5liter87
2nd Gear Member

Default Hooked suspension

For some reason search function isn't working for me to well. Trying to do my research on what struts to get. Right now my car handles like poo, and looking for the quick way to help that out. Not going to use DR, but want a minimal burn through 1st when taking off. What should i do, jus get a shock/strut/spring kit from 5.0resto?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:09 AM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

Default RE: Hooked suspension

shocks/struts/springs are the starting base along with a good set of tires, then some good rear lower control arms and subframe connectors and you're on your way to a solid street/occasional track set-up.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:22 AM
5liter87
2nd Gear Member

cool yeh im doing some research right now. now, this car is going to see quite a bit of street driving...maybe 5% of that at the track, so is a drag setup worth it? i mean, if im going to be hitting corners hard and fast, i suppose i wouldnt want that setup right? because from what i understand, in a drag setup, the struts help it lift off the ground (which is good for drag right) and there is an airbag in the rear right (from what i see in the item descrptions). would i be better off going for just a kyb kit from 50resto that ($390 improvesride handling %comfort) or get the drag kit from them for about $500 (lakewood.) either way im doing subframe connectors, not sure if removing the front sway bar is worth it in my case.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:34 AM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

so is a drag setup worth it? i mean, if im going to be hitting corners hard and fast, i suppose i wouldnt want that setup right?
that is correct, for the track you want the front end to be as loose as possible so it rises up and sends the weight to the rear. you do not want that set-up if you're looking to carve through corners, it will understeer and pretty much suck. if you want the best of both worlds you need to get something with adjustability, like some strange or tokico adjustable struts/shocks, coilovers will help too, you can always take off the sway bar for track days and put it back on the rest of the time, it only takes a couple minutes to take off.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:52 AM
5liter87
2nd Gear Member

ah screw it, i remember seeing those coil over kits for like $2,000 and thats way out of the price range for a college student lol. i think i'll stick with getting a kyb complete shock, strut, spring kit for now. thanks alot man, i needed that insight!
Old 01-07-2007, 12:06 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

whoa! we're not talking about the same coilovers, you're talking about a full kit, i mean just a front sleeve, it's about 250$. i'd at least get adjustable shocks/struts, those KYBs are meant for stock replacements, they just matched them with better springs.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:51 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Tokico Illumina shocks and sturs OR Strange 10 way adjustable.... and for springs... H&R Super Sports
Old 01-07-2007, 12:52 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5liter87

maybe 5% of that at the track, so is a drag setup worth it? i mean, if im going to be hitting corners hard and fast, i suppose i wouldnt want that setup right?
try this, you can TO A POINT have a dual purpose suspension setup

mega-bite jr LCA's will improve handling and hook in a HUGE way

the right side airbag ($30 by itself) helps launch a lot

kyb at all corners will be noticible alot

energy suspension poly kit with everything else i said will make it handle like an older vette , and also increase the traction loads

but the bottom line is this, w/out a good tire (no street tire will do gotta be a DR or better) you will never be able to launch any higher than idle and slip the clutch til your going, it just won't happen , hook is MOSTLY about the tire

but the things i said will drastically improve handling, and greatly help traction
Old 01-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Cleeman99
3rd Gear Member

well unless u have the M/T drag street radial
Old 01-07-2007, 02:29 PM
5liter87
2nd Gear Member

mega-bite jr LCA's
these are springs correct? what exact brand is that my friend, im a little lost. and by kyb u mean the strut/shock setup right? p.s. my dad has a 77vette, oh boy that does handle well. i know what your sayin.

Quick Reply: Hooked suspension