5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mass Air Conversion???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 02:36 PM
brodielee

Default Mass Air Conversion???

I need to convert my '88 from speed density to mass air and am looking for the best place to buy the kit. Any thoughts or insight? When I purchased the car it came with a largercam already installed, but the mass air conversion was never done. I'm not the best with enigine mods and was wondering if there is a quick and easy way to figure out thecam specs and if so, is there a specific kit that goes along per different cam sizes? The engine is idling rough and hopefully the kit will correct it.

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:42 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Mass Air Conversion???

A little known fact is that you can correct the rough idle in a sped density car by adding a small restriction in the hose that feeds vac referance tot he map sensor, it will help slow the "pulses" that the map sensor reads and will smooth out your idle
Old 01-08-2007, 07:43 PM
86f150

For the mass air conversion go to www.fordmuscle.com click tech department they did the conversion on a truck but it should be about the same all you need is a computer and mas from a later model car they also had some kind of wiring harness but i think the harness was only like 50 bucks
Old 01-08-2007, 08:36 PM
CHILLERMAN
1st Gear Member

Do you know who mfg. the cam and what the specs are? I'm just curious as I have a speed density car myself. I would like to get around doing a conversion as I'm planning on a larger cam and trick flow heads. But I'm noy so sure I can get around it or not. How well does car run now with this set-up?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:39 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: CHILLERMAN

Do you know who mfg. the cam and what the specs are? I'm just curious as I have a speed density car myself. I would like to get around doing a conversion as I'm planning on a larger cam and trick flow heads. But I'm noy so sure I can get around it or not. How well does car run now with this set-up?

Try looking in the Tech articles some time

5.0 HO Cam Specs & Speed Density Compatable Cams- by 86 5.0L
Old 01-08-2007, 09:13 PM
CHILLERMAN
1st Gear Member

I've already been there. Cams listed in red say some tuning required, but no direction is given there. I sent you a pm.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:17 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: CHILLERMAN

I've already been there. Cams listed in red say some tuning required, but no direction is given there. I sent you a pm.
did you notice all the OTHER cams??? the ones that ARE compatible??
Old 01-08-2007, 09:21 PM
CHILLERMAN
1st Gear Member

Yes I did. Did you have any experience with them? I just read your pm reply. Thanks for that article. Do you know what that system sells for?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

http://www.stangnet.com/tech/maf/massairconversion.html

I know a little about the conversion on the cheap too...
Old 01-08-2007, 10:02 PM
shakes
2nd Gear Member

Best way to do the conversion is to buy a A9L off ebay, get a 75-80mm MAS calibrated for your 19lb'er and get the conversion harness from IST.

http://www.mass-air.com/Products.htm...ir%20Harnesses

cheapest bang for the buck imo. I'll be doing my conversion in the next couple of weeks and documenting it.

Quick Reply: Mass Air Conversion???