5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Header Install Re-cap

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 04:23 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Default Header Install Re-cap

Ok I am FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY (not quite though) FINISHED installing my headers. yesterday I plugged my o2's back in and fired Sheila up rawrrrrrrr. The long tubes minus the cats made the car perform like real muscle car. that intake also helped the engine with response and HP. One thing i dont like is the very very raspy tone i get from the exhaust (and i think under the hood). i believe this is an exhaust leak, and it makes my car sound as if its going to fall apart any minute. how do i get rid of this? also, if one of my o2 sensors is not functioning, can i run on just the other one?

last but not least, i got a sh-tload of air in my brake lines, what is the best way to bleed the air out? thanks people!! this was a hell of a time getting those things in there but you were all right, it was worth it....
Old 09-28-2004, 04:43 AM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Header Install Re-cap

it might be an exhaust leak but as for you brake get a freind in the car to pump the brake a couple of times then hold pressure on the pedal while you loosen to bleader valves do this a couple of times on all of the wheels and you should be fine just make sure you start at the wheel farest away from the master cylinder and top off the brake fulid too after you are done and make sure to not let your freind take his foot off of the brake pedal until you have closed the valve back all the way cause if he does it will just put more air back in the lines
Old 09-28-2004, 05:08 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

another good way to insure you dont get air in the system while your bleeding it with a friend is to get a bottle, like a gatorade bottle or something, and put a hole in the lid, and fill it half full with break fluid and get some vaccum line and make sure its all the way in the fluid and just hook it up to the bleader and open it up... you can even do it your self, just pump the break a few times at each wheel and you should be just fine.... line stangpower said, farthest wheel from master cyl.... hope this helps
Old 09-29-2004, 05:00 PM
sorcerdon

or sell the car and get a new one
lol
Old 09-29-2004, 05:55 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

why sell a mustang to buy another one? just keep the one you got and you'll be just fine... dont listen to the new guy lol
Old 09-29-2004, 05:58 PM
sorcerdon

why so rice?

i was just kidding. -_-
Old 09-30-2004, 01:24 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Once you have run the engine some and gotten everything hot, go back and retighten all the header bolts and other fasteners in the exhaust system, this will usually ensure you don't have any exhaust leaks provided you fitted everything together right the first time!
And O2 sensors are relatively cheap, so I would buy a new set of them at this point. And use some anti-sieze compound on the threads when you install them so they won't be so hard to remove next time. Just make sure to get a compound that is O2 sensor friendly, check the label first before you buy it.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

i thought O2 sensors were 60 bucks a peice... this is not cheap!!!![sm=smiley19.gif]
Old 10-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Big5.0.13.7sec.
2nd Gear Member

Very true they are around 60 $ a peice,

But you cant run on just one! Thats just dumb.
I'd pick up a new set.... i believe you can get some bosch for 90 for both.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:44 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

Ebay my good friend, Ebay....

Quick Reply: Header Install Re-cap