5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how do delete the heater core ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:12 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: how do delete the heater core ?

ORIGINAL: 88 GT n loven it....

ok thanks .... i get it now im suppost to connect both the hoses together, does anyone know what size ofconnector will i need and do you guysknow if it's ok to use a plastic one ?
Plastic should be fine. I just grabbed a piece ofcopper pipe I found and stuck it in there. I have no idea what size it was. Just find something that fits.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:52 PM
CarJway
2nd Gear Member

Go to your local parts store. Get a brass adapter that goes to 5/8 to 3/4 inch. (It's made out of brass) In the HELP section of the store. Then connect the two lines near the back of the engine, that also come off of the engine, and hook them together with this adapter. FIXED, and COLD.

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:36 AM
351fox0826

i did this on my 86 when i got it a few years ago, heater core drain nub started leaking, i just bypassed it at the back of the motor where the two coolant lines run to the heatercore, fixed and cool like he said and cost me 5 bucks at napa to get a flexed coolant hose, 5 min job..... better than it flooding into your passenger side
Old 01-12-2007, 04:14 AM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

Why does everyone cry about this so much?? It's easy to replace, the dash comes off but you dont have to unhook any wiring, I just did mine. Its nowhere as near as bad as people said it would be. Just take your time, label your parts..etc. Even if you can rough the winter, do you really want your winshield fogging up all the time? Pain in the ***.. its better to just get it fixed... it'l take about 5-6 hours.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:42 AM
88 GT n loven it....
2nd Gear Member

i fixed it alredy thanks... this will not affect my engineon any way will it ?
Old 01-12-2007, 06:45 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

It won't effect it at all. All that core does is hold the hot water so air can blow across it in the heater box so you have heat. You shouldn't have anything to worry about, and i know how you feel on the temperature part, cuz when i bought my car it had already been bypassed. So i've been freezin the last month or so.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Most people don't drive 5.0L mustangs in the winter time anyways. Usually theres a couple feet of snow... or at least trace. Bypass is a easy fix til someone has more time to tackle the project, and depending on the model year replacement can be easy or time consuming, either way its not something I think anyone looks forward to.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:16 AM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

Most people don't drive 5.0L mustangs in the winter time anyways. Usually theres a couple feet of snow... or at least trace. Bypass is a easy fix til someone has more time to tackle the project, and depending on the model year replacement can be easy or time consuming, either way its not something I think anyone looks forward to.
Well said. If you can't do a core on this car - you have no business wrenching elsewhere. It's a matter of needs and preference. This is not the best car to drive in the winter and people like me who drive only in good weather have nothing to loose. Most of you with trashed cores will continue to have repeat failure every other year or so due to electrolysis. "....Nothing fights infection like amputation...."
Old 01-12-2007, 11:29 AM
ROTTITANK
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

I drive mine year round . It can be 10 below Im driving it. As long there is no snow.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:30 PM
grumpyphillips
2nd Gear Member

I'm in Florida. Down here we drive our mustangs year 'round.

Quick Reply: how do delete the heater core ?