5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

KING COBRA CLUTCH

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:17 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

Default RE: KING COBRA CLUTCH

ORIGINAL: GreenHornet92

I have it and it is awesome. Like stated above, you will get used to it. Just a fair warning, don't drive the stang to the gym on leg day.....don't ask how I know
haha did the same thing, on the first day working out my legs, big mistake
Old 01-12-2007, 02:41 PM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

Mines nasty too man. I still don't know if I have an aftermarket quadrant and/or and adjuster. I am pretty sure I do, but it's so stiff I had to scoot the seat up or else I just push myself back. I can't drive mine in bad traffic either. The 10% less pedal effort I believe is a comparision with the older KC or other heavy duty clutches. If you figure out a fix let me know, short of ripping all my junk off and installing it myself, I don't know what else to do.
You should be able to look under the dash to the leftof the steering wheel and you'll be able to see if youhave a aftermarket quadrant, the firewall adjuster should be mounted on the firewall and you definaetly cant miss it(right under or around the brake booster) +1 cable clutches are hella harder then hydralic, but they do m ake forsmoother shifter, better then a Honda anyway, I got used to mice pretty quick, my leg never got sore though, igot a Ram Heavy Duty clutch, and aftermarketcable kit.I dont know what a stock cable feels like though.
edit: i mean to the right of the wheel, my bad
Old 01-12-2007, 02:42 PM
TMeyer29
2nd Gear Member

haha...just suck it up ull get used to it....
Old 01-12-2007, 03:03 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90Lxstanger

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

Mines nasty too man. I still don't know if I have an aftermarket quadrant and/or and adjuster. I am pretty sure I do, but it's so stiff I had to scoot the seat up or else I just push myself back. I can't drive mine in bad traffic either. The 10% less pedal effort I believe is a comparision with the older KC or other heavy duty clutches. If you figure out a fix let me know, short of ripping all my junk off and installing it myself, I don't know what else to do.
You should be able to look under the dash to the leftof the steering wheel and you'll be able to see if youhave a aftermarket quadrant, the firewall adjuster should be mounted on the firewall and you definaetly cant miss it(right under or around the brake booster) +1 cable clutches are hella harder then hydralic, but they do m ake forsmoother shifter, better then a Honda anyway, I got used to mice pretty quick, my leg never got sore though, igot a Ram Heavy Duty clutch, and aftermarketcable kit.I dont know what a stock cable feels like though.
edit: i mean to the right of the wheel, my bad
Thanx. I'll give her a looksee when I start it this weekend. I haven't even seen it since Thanksgiving. Hell, I probably have flat tires by now
Old 01-13-2007, 01:45 AM
95gtdrop
2nd Gear Member

i did this and my left leg kept twitching! driving the car home that night was the hardest thing ever!
i just got a new kc clutch in yesterday. sooo much beter than the original, very bald disc, throwout bearingnot turnable by hand!
it is easier to dis-engage

ORIGINAL: 89Ford

ORIGINAL: GreenHornet92

I have it and it is awesome. Like stated above, you will get used to it. Just a fair warning, don't drive the stang to the gym on leg day.....don't ask how I know
haha did the same thing, on the first day working out my legs, big mistake
Old 01-13-2007, 01:50 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

king cobra clutches suck.... Spec and centerforce are both really light clutches that will hold ALOT more power
Old 01-13-2007, 02:10 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

i did the same thing but o well... i'm used to it now.. and a good way to get used to a stiff clutch is to get a gym membership... after a month or so you'll think ur driving a hydrolic clutch car lol
ORIGINAL: ModularFox

mines super hard to press..infact ive broke 2 clutch cables because of it. i just ordered a aftermarket cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster, im hoping it will help out. I also had to use washers too. my buddys 90 lx has a spec stage 2 in it, and i love driving his car, its super easy to press. ive even broke my seat now because its so hard to press. i cant wait to **** can it and get my spec.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:12 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

my center force isn't exactly light, but it's much lighter than the cobra
ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

king cobra clutches suck.... Spec and centerforce are both really light clutches that will hold ALOT more power
Old 01-14-2007, 02:55 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I need help too. My clutch is hard as a rock. I have replaced every component. I had a king cobra clutch and it was hard as a rock so I bought a spec stage 2 and it is even harder. I replaced the clutch fork, pivot ball, pilot bearing, throughout bearing, UPR adjustable clutch cable,steel bearing retainer, I even replaced the bushings in the pedals the control your side to side movement. It is also chattering when I release the clutch out even more when in reverse . I was told something with the throughout bearing. I just don't know what else to do.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:01 PM
bpride82

i have the king cobra w/ adjustable cable & quad.. and i get a workout.. i hear yah.. IT SUX IN TRAFFIC!!!!!!u do get used to it... but if i c traffic, i go the other way! or take the shoulder.

Quick Reply: KING COBRA CLUTCH