5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HP estimate

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 09:56 PM
notchback50
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HP estimate

thanks for the knowledge it helps a lot. thats how i want my idle to sound but it will be carbed. how much did the maching cost for the oversized pistons? im also goin with the frp swap pan i guess ill grab windage tray. .what do they do exactly? are you running stock valves and push rods and lifters with that cam? what rate are your springs?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:08 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: notchback50

thanks for the knowledge it helps a lot. thats how i want my idle to sound but it will be carbed. how much did the maching cost for the oversized pistons? im also goin with the frp swap pan i guess ill grab windage tray. .what do they do exactly? are you running stock valves and push rods and lifters with that cam? what rate are your springs?
again they were AFR-185 heads
had to upgrade to 145lbs seat press. springs for that cam.

you will need custom legnth hardened pushrods

cheap Ford Racing lifters are fine.

Block and crank maching, which you have to do regardless will probably be close to $800-1,000

windage trays keep all the air on the backsides of the pistons from
blowing down into the oil pan and splashing the oil around
.......... at 6,000 rpm your pistons are going up and down 100 times per second!!!!
there is air on the back side of the piston also, thats a LOT of air being moved around
inside the engine which causes friction which robs potential horsepower.

If you want this thing to last and make good power, take your time and dont cheap out on stuff
that needs to be upgraded or replaced ........... or you will be VERY disappointed in the long run.

Cam and head combo with proper springs, intsalled correctly, is CRITICAL ........ highly recommend getting
a head/cam package from CSI............ in the long run it will cost the same as off the shelf parts after you
finish making them work together by upgrading the springs ( spring upgrades are not a DYI job, if you want it done right )

pushrod legnth is also critical and will have to measured with a pushrod length checker
if pushords are wrong it will cause all kinds of power issues and low vacume and backfires.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:26 AM
notchback50
2nd Gear Member

thanx for all the info man that was awesome, so how did you determine your pushrod length?was it hard? i think ill take your advice and take my time and do everything right so in the long run i have a dependable driver, thanx for explaining bout the windage tray i didnt know that about the pistons thats crazy