5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I need cam advice!! please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:05 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default I need cam advice!! please help

ok ive finally made up my mind on what i wanna do.... i have a 95 cobra with basic bolt ons and im goin to do a port/polish the heads... i think im goin to have thumper doin them... in one of his packages he offers E, F or TFS cam are any of those cams good or should i should get hte heads ported and polished with new springs and what not... keep in mind i want to add a blower... probably a vortech with 8-10 psi which is normal i would think... i basically wanna SAFETY max out my stock block... so many question is what cam do i need also just wondering what u all think about gettin a cobra intake ported and polish since im gettin the gt-40 heads ported in polish i was unsure if the intake manifold would need it as well... thanks for any advice
Old 01-15-2007, 09:13 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I need cam advice!! please help

You have many options and it basically comes down to what you want in the long run. With that being said about the blower, I suggest something like the E cam. Its duration is great for forced induction and it performs well (especially with heads and an intake) without boost. Thats what I run. A friend of mine has a custom cam with the lift of an F cam with the duration of the E cam. He also runs a blower with 8-10psi boost. Its popular, its not extremely pricey and it works for what you want to do.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:36 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

is a custom grind cam like your friend has worth the xtra money over a simple Alphabet cam? i can get a deal heads port/polish.. top notch job with everything need to put the heads bak on installed ready to go and a E303 cam shipped for 1050ish... i would of course be without a car for a few weeks... but thats not my main consern.... would it be easiest to go with this E303 cam i head it has a lil loop but not to much and runs well in higher RPM which is were i would be getting most horsepower... and since it comes with a nice package i thot would the custom grind cam be worth it... its just goin to be a weekend fun car mayb a take it to the track once in a while but nothing major... something for me to learn with both how to put stuff together and learn to handle that kinda horsepower.. i dont wanna go to radical with this car... only other thing i mite do besides suspension would be a very small shot of nitrous.. like a 25-50shot mostly for the cooling effect and for the purge... gotta love it... like i said i wanna safetly max out hte block so like 400rwhp is my goal a lil more would be nice but not to much more i wanna keep it same... granted **** happens i know but i am at the understanding that a stock 302 can handle 500-550hp on average so i was thinking 400rwhp was pretty safe... what is everyones input on a E303 cam??? and is gettin a cobra intake U/L ported worth it?? i wanna keep the stock cobra look if possible
Old 01-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

The tfs cam is a good cam all the way around. I'd get a custom cam tho, gonna be a bit more price, but it'll give you the best gains.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:53 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

I don't think his cam was too hard to come by. Stuff like what you are trying to do is rather popular. Hell, its basically what I plan to do. Many big-name cam manufacturers do custom stuff. Go google ape**** and you will find some ideas.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:20 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

95 5.0 you say tfs is a good all around what about the tfs II cam i heard it sounds great and works well on blown engines?? also does anyone know what company are good reliable custom cam company... i assume some of these guys are so good i can tell them my goal and they can tell me which of there custom cams would best fit my needs