5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

performance advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:25 PM
decipha
2nd Gear Member

Default performance advice

I have a 92 5.0 H.O. bird... as of right now it is completely stock.My budget is1 grand for everything, I do everything myself so labor is free.I'm looking for a little performance out of it these are the things I have considered.

$65 cold air intake (+10hp)
$60 flowmaster 40 (+7hp)
$185 4.10 gear (hehe)
$50 u/d pulleys (+4)
$55 18" trans cooler (ahh)
$85 rear disc swap
$260 eibach sportline springs(2" drop)

that leaves me $240 for recommendations andI still need shocks.Looking forcoil overs but i don't even know where to start or what to look for. I have at any given time 6-8 passengers in my car, I'd estimate an addition 250 lbs up front and 900 lbs in the rear. I need some shocks that would be able to accommodate the weight with minimal squat. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:28 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: performance advice

8 people in a t-bird is illegal in most states
Old 01-15-2007, 09:28 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

have you looked at ebay for used parts, or the classifieds for used parts, theres a lot of good stuff out there for pretty cheap. As for shocks, what the hell are you doing with 6-8 people in your car? Besides the point you'll need leaf springs to handle 900 lbs... your looking for a real stiff spring, not shocks, go with some Monroe shocks and FRPP springs. jmo
Old 01-15-2007, 10:42 PM
decipha
2nd Gear Member

matt - its only illegal if you get caught, plus its not adults I have a 2 neices and a nephew under the age of 6 they tend to ride with me at times so although it may seem like alot of people its really not

7up - yeah i was considering them prices from ebayand summit as for the monroeshocks do you think they will give me a nice firm ride? you wouldn't happen to know how much of a drop I can expect with the FRPP springs would you? With the eibachs I'll get about a 2.25" drop
Old 01-16-2007, 12:15 AM
decipha
2nd Gear Member

bump it up
Old 01-16-2007, 12:33 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: decipha

matt - its only illegal if you get caught, plus its not adults I have a 2 neices and a nephew under the age of 6 they tend to ride with me at times so although it may seem like alot of people its really not
So your not riding with adults in the car.. but instead overloading it with children... your a piece of ****!
Old 01-16-2007, 12:35 AM
95walter
1st Gear Member

i agree man you should have a mini van or something. everytime you put those kids in that car you put them in danger
ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: decipha

So your not riding with adults in the car.. but instead overloading it with children... your a piece of ****!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:27 AM
decipha
2nd Gear Member

by no means arethey in danger the backseat of a bird is much bigger than that of a stang... if i felt they were in danger i wouldn't allow them to ride with me, its not very often just occasionally, perhaps they miss the bus and i have to ride them to school. Its not an everyday thing and I would never harm any of them.

bttt... what do you guys recommend??

are the above mentioned mods worthwile?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:30 AM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

wait a little while, if u save ur money u can get all the motor work done at the same time, and then u dont have to keep goin back and back, but i think for now a good header and exhaust setup would be good, along with a new intake and then save up
Old 01-17-2007, 01:34 AM
uni_uni
2nd Gear Member

I say go for it,itll be fun and a great payoff considering the money, 3.73's might be better for gears so you still have streetability

Quick Reply: performance advice