5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

MAF question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: MAF question

My question is will a stock computer A9L from a 90 "learn" when you put 24# injectors and mass air without getting a tune or chip?

Im in the final stages of building the car, bought all the mass air stuff (Pro-M 24# meter, Ford Racing 24# injectors) and the computer. Before I fire it up I want to be SURE it will be ok... ?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:28 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Edge_of_Sanity

My question is will a stock computer A9L from a 90 "learn" when you put 24# injectors and mass air without getting a tune or chip?

Im in the final stages of building the car, bought all the mass air stuff (Pro-M 24# meter, Ford Racing 24# injectors) and the computer. Before I fire it up I want to be SURE it will be ok... ?
Pm sent, but I will post the same response here, in case others care...

No chip/tune needed.

Your A9L will try to learn, but it is for the best that it does this. Most likely the ProM meter will not be 'dead on' in its calibration, due simply to production tolerances, and influences from your particular engine.
The adaptive capability of the EEC-IV was designed to fine tune the fuel pulsewidths because of production tolerances from Ford.
There is a maximum adaptive ability of between 12.5% to 15%, depending on the ecu or who you ask.

Bottom line is, your setup should be just fine. It is always worth double checking the part numbers on the MAF for correct application though. The MAF needs to not only match the injector size, but also the computer it is being used on.
A quick call to PMAS should confirm all is well, but I doubt you will have any issues.

Good Luck finishing the build, and let me know how it goes.
jason
Old 01-16-2007, 01:14 PM
ncascademtns
1st Gear Member

Ok,
now that this is out, here's my question.
I am running 30# injectors with a calibrated 30# MAF housing and a 76mm thottle body. I picked up a factory Cobra MAF Sensor and a A9P computer. Is this going to work with all the mods that I need to do with the wiring?
Old 01-16-2007, 01:32 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ncascademtns

Ok,
now that this is out, here's my question.
I am running 30# injectors with a calibrated 30# MAF housing and a 76mm thottle body. I picked up a factory Cobra MAF Sensor and a A9P computer. Is this going to work with all the mods that I need to do with the wiring?
I am not sure I follow...

Your current setup is...
A9P
30lb injectors
30lb MAF

You want to run a 93 Cobra MAF/MAS (it is important to specify the year of the cobra).

I will help, but you need to clarify a little

jason
Old 05-16-2007, 02:02 AM
atstark

I have an '87 5.0 (speed density for now... Put in a E303 cam headers, Cobra Upper/lower intake, BBK fuel rails, a/c delete, and other goodies... question is how hard is the MAF conversion???? I have already purchased a BBK fender mount intake, A9L computer (remanufactured off Ebay) an 80mm MAF Sensor, a 75 mm Throttle body, and a Painless Performance Main engine harness..... It goes from the Computer to the sensors throughout. Is this a plug and play deal?Do I have everything I need... ny tips on install? thanks.

Adam
Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Why does everyone insist on switching to MAF????

SD PWNS in all ways
Old 05-16-2007, 12:21 PM
atstark

I am trying to figure out why my car would not idle right.... it will do OK cold, as soon as it heats up it will last 10-15 seconds at a stop light then I will have to feather the throttle to keep her running. It is a pain. When I first did all the mods it ran so rich that raw gas was spittingout the pipes. I am going to change the O2 sensors today and maybe the coolant sensor. The plugs are probably trashed from that abuse I but the 99 cent plugs in to pass emissions for the last time. THe O2's are probably even worse than the plugs after running that rich for a few minutes. Any other fixes that you can offer would be great... I never set out to spend an extra $600 doing a MAF swap... BUT if i have to go through with it.. does any one have tips?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: atstark

.. does any one have tips?
Yep....don't guess with the problem, use the tools at your disposal and run the self-tests to make sure you have ECT, O2, ACT, etc circuit problems......
Old 05-16-2007, 08:14 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

Why does everyone insist on switching to MAF????

SD PWNS in all ways
Because it is user friendly, easy, common and cheap....also it is great for the regular bolt on kind of people that don't worry about air/fuel ratio tables and just want their car to run good.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:15 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: atstark

I am trying to figure out why my car would not idle right.... it will do OK cold, as soon as it heats up it will last 10-15 seconds at a stop light then I will have to feather the throttle to keep her running. It is a pain. When I first did all the mods it ran so rich that raw gas was spittingout the pipes. I am going to change the O2 sensors today and maybe the coolant sensor. The plugs are probably trashed from that abuse I but the 99 cent plugs in to pass emissions for the last time. THe O2's are probably even worse than the plugs after running that rich for a few minutes. Any other fixes that you can offer would be great... I never set out to spend an extra $600 doing a MAF swap... BUT if i have to go through with it.. does any one have tips?
I spent less then $200....

Quick Reply: MAF question