5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

DO I Need The V.S.S installed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 10:55 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Default DO I Need The V.S.S installed?

i had this fault code come up at my local speed shop,and they said i have to have it. i agree with them to a point,but maybe somebody out there might know a little more on this.i do know this is on cars equiped with cruise control. does this really mess with your fuel and timing though? i did convert this to mass air,was this installed only on mass air cars? if anybody have a clue about this speed sensor which plugs into my transmission please reply.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:00 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: DO I Need The V.S.S installed?

no it doesnt affect timing or fuel, may cause some cars to stall out at low speeds though if bad
Old 10-03-2004, 11:05 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

thats what they told me........ my car did act up for awhile had to adj. my tps,and t-body to make it quit stalling on me. i see your times are getting better...good job!
Old 10-03-2004, 11:12 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

thansk dude
Old 10-03-2004, 11:23 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

well would it be wise to put it right? it would be one less code i have on it.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:33 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

I suppose staring at a check engine light will get old eventually, not to mention being able to know sooner of another problem
Old 10-04-2004, 02:29 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

hey grabbem88, what do you think of the dss engine I see you have in your sig?? did they treat you right?
Old 10-04-2004, 09:12 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i think they did,the only thing i didn't care for was there rod bearing clearance.they shave off like a thousandth off for cooling purposes.it makes your oil pressure look like 25psi off idle,and50psi at max. i'm used to seeing 40psi,and 80psi......................... do you have any input on this v.s.s?
Old 10-04-2004, 03:39 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I can quote the EEC IV manual if that will help any.
"The VSS uses a magnetic pickup, usually mounted on the transaxle, to signal the control module about the vehicle speed. The VSS is important for control of speed (Cruise) control, idle air bypass, transmission torque converter lock-up and engine cooling fan (Ford cars cut off the electric fan at about 45 mph)."
The obvious functions it affects are self expantory (cruise control, converter lock up and fan cut off). What is says about the idle air control is that the IAC helps prevent engine stalling when decelerating, so the VSS must supply the ECU with this information to use to keep the engine running when you let up on the gas.
I don't really see how this applies to a speed density 88 since they don't have an electric fan nor electronic lock up torque converters nor a transaxle for that matter, but we do have cruise control and IAC's, so it's probably a good idea to replace the VSS if it is bad.
thanks for the information about DSS too. Look like they made you a good engine if you're running 13.1's with it! Did you convert to mass when you installed it? I wouldn't worry about the oil pressure as too much can be just as bad as too little, just so it comes up with engine rpms and maintains about 10 psi for every 1,000 rpms you should be fine.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:54 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

the v.s.s was cut off before i got it! i always wondered what those wires were. drivability is a must so i'm having them to locate the parts to get it right. at idle it loads up pretty rich,pops up through the intake when its cold. about my d.s.s block i should of forked over the $400 bucks and got a 331 stroker then my afr 185's could really show there stuff! so i'm putting on a vortech s-trim and shoot for 11.80's!

Quick Reply: DO I Need The V.S.S installed?