5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oil pan leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 01:06 AM
91GTRI

Default oil pan leak

Ok, I have a problem. My oil pan is leaking, right in the corner above the starter. I tried tightening the bolts, but that did not help much, they were not that loose. I'm not sure, but the rear main might be leaking also, as I see some oil dripping from behind the flywheel cover. This is not that bad though. Should I just try and drop the pan and put a new gasket on, or should I pull the motor and do both the pan gasket and the rear main? How hard is it to replace the pan gasket with the motor still in the car? The car is nothing great, it is my everyday transportation for work, and since it is starting to cool down, I don't know how long it will take me to do this job, I work 6 days a week, so I don't have much time to do this. The car runs fine, has 120,000 miles on it, it does not burn oil, but it sure leaks alot from the pan!! It's getting so it blows on the exhaust, and I am afraid of a fire, that's why I have to do this quick. Any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-04-2004, 01:11 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: oil pan leak

Get a Haynes manual for the directions, its easy just gotta get it around the k-member
Old 10-04-2004, 01:18 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

yup, mine was leaking and i thought it was the valve covers, turns out it was the pan, put on a new pan gaskets and now it doesnt burn or leak a single drop, even with 110k!!! yes the only hard part of taking out the pan is getting it around the k member, youll have to do some wrestling but you will get it
Old 10-04-2004, 02:36 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

yeah, it ain't that bad to do and that rear main seal you think is leaking could also be oil leaking down from the valve covers above so don't lose any sleep over that. I changed mine when I installed the new tranny last year and had over 108,000 miles on it and it wasn't leaking a bit, just changed it since I was there already and didn't want to have to go back and change it later if it decided to leak any.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:07 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

i just went thru all of this this past fri/sat. had to do it on my friends '91 331 we took the whole motor out though..........and tranny.........and exhaust.......engine hoist and engine stand are all you need. new valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket, rear main was alright-replaced that @ 2-3 months ago. put new clutch on.........it was fun. itll take longer, but, idk. we had access to all the good stuff, so, if you dont, i say try it w/ it in the car, but, im guessing its a lot easier outside of the car. just make sure to hook all the wires up right and bolts are tight
Old 10-04-2004, 11:25 PM
91GTRI

The thing is, I can see the backs of the valve covers, and they are dry, but the top of the block looks wet in the back. Are these intakes known to leak in the back? Do I have to jack up the motor to get the pan out? If it were not so close to the cold weather I would definitly take the motor out, but with me working 6 days a week, and still having other priorities I want to take the shortest route. Like I said it does have 120,000 miles, so it could use a clutch when I do pull the motor but, I think I will save that for next year. About how long of a job is it to pull the pan, and put it back up? I will be going to the parts store and see if I can find the haynes manual. Here is my real toy!

[IMG]local://upfiles/4144/474388B2D5DF4BBAA591DBC645643C66.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4144/2BCF0853B7FF47DC86B895757C554FA7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-05-2004, 12:38 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

took us a day and a half, but, we started fri afternoon at 5. left at 10 that night. started 11:30 on sat and finished up at 10. so, if you know what youre doing, a day. plus, we had to get parts sat morning and we goofed off a lot too, so, wouldnt have taken us that long. but, you dont "need" a clutch if its working fine. if its not slipping, i wouldnt worry about it, unless you want to replace it. def replace the rear main. youll prolly have to drop your tranny and exhaust too. we had to to get his engine back in cuz the tranny wouldnt go in. but, maybe it was just a fluke. either way, good luck. oh, and theres still some nice weather left of this year.....
Old 10-05-2004, 06:46 PM
91GTRI

Ok, I think I'm gonna just try and drop and pan and see if I can get away with that til the warm weather comes. I know the rear main is not dripping anywhere near as bad as the pan. I picked up the haynes manual, I was reading where is says to disconnect the steering shaft. Is this a PITA? I know mine looks all corroded. Seems like the bolts should be a mother to get out. Let me know...Thanks
Old 10-05-2004, 07:36 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

we didnt disconnect ours.......
Old 10-05-2004, 07:39 PM
91GTRI

they are saying this if you are leaving the motor in the car. I will have to look and see what is in the way.

Quick Reply: oil pan leak