5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Best Tuning Chip for 5.0 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 02:22 PM
5ohfox
1st Gear Member

Default Best Tuning Chip for 5.0 Mustang

i just got a buch of new parts for my mustang. and i really want to get a tuning chip for my 1989 mustang gt 5 speed. and i was wondering what other ppl have and how do you like them?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:41 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Best Tuning Chip for 5.0 Mustang

it all depends what parts are on your car, if its stock then a chip does nothing. but must people on the forums are going to tell you to get a dyno or some sort of handheld tuner
Old 01-18-2007, 04:10 PM
wheels03gt

good luck with a tuner, i had a diablesport delta chip on my 94, didnt have any problems with it
Old 01-18-2007, 04:23 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Any chip that you can order through the mail, is going to be questionable. Most likely you will only get an increase in timing out of it.

For best results, look into a dyno tune/chip or purchasing a tuner (such as tweecer, pms, moates).

Is this the final time you will be making changes to the car?

What is the current setup?
How does it run now?
jason
Old 01-18-2007, 05:56 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I've wondered the same about my 94 gt. I have a cobra intake that I am going toput onwith probably a 70 mm tb and MAF, and probably a K/N intake. I would later like to do heads, cam and exhaust ASAP but that may not make it before the end of the year.Where the heck in there should I look for a tune/retune? She is COMPLETLY stock now with even the air silencer and all as I would like to take her down 1/4 mile to get a baseline time. Maybe even tomorrow night now that Ithink about it. I picked her up as the 2nd owner in june, when my mother finally decided to get rid of her. As much as I want to baby it since I plan to keep her forever, that will only continue to get harder to do........
Old 01-18-2007, 06:22 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ttocs

I've wondered the same about my 94 gt. I have a cobra intake that I am going toput onwith probably a 70 mm tb and MAF, and probably a K/N intake. I would later like to do heads, cam and exhaust ASAP but that may not make it before the end of the year.Where the heck in there should I look for a tune/retune? She is COMPLETLY stock now with even the air silencer and all as I would like to take her down 1/4 mile to get a baseline time. Maybe even tomorrow night now that Ithink about it. I picked her up as the 2nd owner in june, when my mother finally decided to get rid of her. As much as I want to baby it since I plan to keep her forever, that will only continue to get harder to do........
anyone else confused by this?

I believe there are chips that are 4 bank, each bank is a different tune. so you can have it tuned for say just an intake, then another with intake and heads, then another with intake heads and a blower....this way you can just switch from one to the other when you get everything...but in the end when all you moding is done you still would better with a dyno tune
Old 01-18-2007, 06:49 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

are you confused by what I wrote, or you understand my question and do not understand either? When I decided I was "done"(as if that ever happens since projects are never finished, just sold) I would certainly want to pay and get a good dyno tune but would I need it to keep the thing running, or just running well? I would rather not repeat something more then once (multiple tunes) but if I gotta I would. I just do not want to put the cart before the horse.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Wisconsin 5.0
2nd Gear Member

So far the best chips I've had in my 90 GT are by far the Lays Sour Creme and Onion. But the ruffels are pretty good if you're using dip...

Sorry, couldn't resist. It's cold and crappy here and I needed a laugh.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:11 PM
5.0coupe
3rd Gear Member

haha that was hilarious
Old 01-18-2007, 08:11 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

71 today in phoenix..............

Now who is laughin?

I'm gonna go crank some tunes, roll down the windows and do a good burn out......

haha

ORIGINAL: Wisconsin 5.0

So far the best chips I've had in my 90 GT are by far the Lays Sour Creme and Onion. But the ruffels are pretty good if you're using dip...

Sorry, couldn't resist. It's cold and crappy here and I needed a laugh.

Quick Reply: Best Tuning Chip for 5.0 Mustang