5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

NEED HELP SOON!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 12:09 AM
88PatrolCar
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: NEED HELP SOON!!

Normally the internals dont go bad. What happens is dirt builds up on the windings of the maf which creates resitance. The MAF works by metering how much voltage has to flow through the wires to keep it at a certain temp, when it gets dirty it gets hotter much easier and the computer thinks it is flowing a lot less air than it actualy is.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:57 PM
redmustang302

i stepped on the gas and it didn't miss, i also got a friends maf sensor and the prob is still there....when i step on the gas i don't notice missing in neutral, but when the rpm's are coming back down, it misses like 3 or 4 times on the way
Old 10-06-2004, 04:41 PM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

I have an idea on what it could be. It sounds like the same problem I had on a 1997 grand am. No one could figure it out ,I had the fuel pump replaced, the O2 sensor replaced twice,the plugs and wires were also replaced and I still got the bucking. I found out that it was a crack in the O2 sensor wire.Once it was replaced I never had that problem again. That is after I spent almost $500on every thing else I put in there just to find out it still bucked. I hope this will help, I'm not as smart as the other guys that replyed to you -- I'm just speaking from personal experience
Old 10-06-2004, 04:41 PM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

I have an idea on what it could be. It sounds like the same problem I had on a 1997 grand am. No one could figure it out ,I had the fuel pump replaced, the O2 sensor replaced twice,the plugs and wires were also replaced and I still got the bucking. I found out that it was a crack in the O2 sensor wire.Once it was replaced I never had that problem again. That is after I spent almost $500on every thing else I put in there just to find out it still bucked. I hope this will help, I'm not as smart as the other guys that replyed to you -- I'm just speaking from personal experience
Old 10-06-2004, 04:50 PM
redmustang302

thanks, i'm brining it to my mom's friend who is a mechanic and i will make sure that is the first thing he checks. i hope it works
bluedemon:did you notice a difference in power once it was fixed?
Old 10-06-2004, 04:58 PM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

Yes I actually did notice an increase in power but that probably had alot to do with considering I replaced all the plugs and wires, fuel pump and filter and O2 sensor. Good luck I hope that you get your stang going again!!
Old 10-06-2004, 05:24 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redmustang302

thanks, i'm brining it to my mom's friend who is a mechanic and i will make sure that is the first thing he checks. i hope it works
bluedemon:did you notice a difference in power once it was fixed?
get him to also check the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) too as this thing affects how the ECU responds when the throttle is releashed to keep the engine running properly. someone else on here recently posted about getting a code for a bad VSS and he has the same symptoms that you are describing too. turned out his had been removed by a previous owner who didn't know what the heck he was doing.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:19 AM
redmustang302

Here is an update...i still haven't seen the mechanic, and he hasn't seen my car, but i talked to him and he suggested two things: timing belt slipping or some valve problem. first of all, do i have a timing belt or chain? second of all, i don't think that it is either of the two because i noticed that driving on the highway at a constant speed anywhere above 1500rpm's and letting the car coast without pressing the accelerater, the needle on the tach jumps from wherever it was (say 2000) down to as low as 1000 rpm's and from there jumps back and forth from 1000 to like 1200 for about 2 or 3 seconds at a pretty fast rate. the thing is, when i am coasting like that, even with the clutch engaged, i can't feel much of a difference in the speed or anything, i only "feel" it durring acceleration. and durring acceleration, it doesn't drop nearly as low. but when i am not pushing the gas and cruising at around 1500 and above, it is as if someone reached through the glass and just wiggled the needle on the tach without feeling any effects from it. however, if you try to accelerate durring this time, the car will buck like crazy. can this be like a loss of power to the ignition since it is bringing the tach down without any other effect the drivetrain? i am at a loss and i need to fix the prob cause it is getting worse
Old 10-14-2004, 07:36 AM
92BOOSTED
3rd Gear Member

There is a electric part that goes on your distributor( i forget what its called at the moment,5:00 am,tired)but that goes bad and it acts up and does what your discribing.Replace it,But make sure you by the stupid little socket from the parts store because your going to need it.
By the way, your wire harness plugs into it on the distributor.
Good luck

Rye
Old 10-14-2004, 08:14 AM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

that little thing is called a ignition module but it kinda sound's like the pick up coil in the distributor and to change that you will need to take out it out and take the pins out of the gear and spacer and drive them both off of the shaft pull the shaft out take your module off and take the three bolts out that hold it in and replace it with the new one and just do the exact oposite of the uinstall hope this helps