5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 01:32 AM
larsif
1st Gear Member

Default rough ride

I installed a set of Eibach Pro kit lowering springs in my 1991 gt mustang convertible. They are the specific springs for the convertibles. I also installed new Tokico HP struts and shocks. I installed the Maximum motorsports caster/camber plates.

This ride is way too stiff. The front springs are way too stiff and do not compress enough to allow the struts to dampen the ride when going down the freeway. I chatter over the bumps as opposed to soaking them up with the suspension.

Have others experience this ride quality with the Eibach Pro Kit springs? Has anyone found a way to smooth out the ride and still keep the care lowered. The stance is perfect in the front.

I am going to try lowering the rear more. Right now it is sitting higher than the front and I think it may be putting too much weigh ton the frotn springs. The springs are progressive and may already have the smaller portion (425-530 lb/in) compressed. This could lead to the rough ride.

When I want to take turns hard it does handle a ton better than stock. I want it lowered but want to keep my teeth.

[IMG]local://upfiles/27757/A6DB1148887E4655B480D2A6FB16B9E8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-21-2007, 01:36 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: rough ride

from what ive read about eibach springs,they run about 750lbs in front... which is WAY too stiff. My Ford springs run 650 up front and its almost, but not quite, a harsh ride...

However, if your rear springs are much more than 250lbs... they are WAY too stiff
Old 01-21-2007, 01:51 AM
larsif
1st Gear Member

Adder: thanks for the info. The Eibachsare better suited to a road course track car than a street car.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:28 AM
5.0coupe
3rd Gear Member

im thinking your car is that way b/c its a vert. I have the pro-kit and you have to remember that your driving a mustang. Also you said you got the hp struts and skocks. I would have gone with the illumia 5 ways. B/c with themy car it sits way lower. B/c i have the springs, but also the new struts and shocks andit made it lower b/c i took the bumpstops out.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:04 AM
larsif
1st Gear Member

5.o coupe

What setting do you have your illuminas on?

Old 01-21-2007, 03:14 AM
5.0coupe
3rd Gear Member

last time i checked i have 2 up front and like 3 in the back
Old 01-21-2007, 03:15 AM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

wow, eibachs and harsh ride doesn't really fit together. if you would've said sportlines i would've said "maybe a little" my buddy has them on his vert, they're stiffer than stock that's for sure, but not that bad. pro-kits aren't as low and are usually very close to a stock feel because of the progressive rate. i run the eibach pro-kits on my focus and aside from much better handling/lowered center of gravity, they didn't affect ride quality.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Fosters82GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HC_CrAzYHoRsE

wow, eibachs and harsh ride doesn't really fit together. if you would've said sportlines i would've said "maybe a little" my buddy has them on his vert, they're stiffer than stock that's for sure, but not that bad. pro-kits aren't as low and are usually very close to a stock feel because of the progressive rate. i run the eibach pro-kits on my focus and aside from much better handling/lowered center of gravity, they didn't affect ride quality.
I would agree with this. I have the Eibach Sportline kit on my car and I LOVE the way it handles and I don't find the ride to be harsh at all.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:38 AM
larsif
1st Gear Member

I don't know what gives. The car has no give in the front suspension. When I hit the smallest dip or bump in the road it is translated through the sterring wheel and car. I can watch the front fender bounce as I drive down the highway.What could be making it so stiff? Do the springs take awhile to break in?

Old 01-22-2007, 02:45 AM
larsif
1st Gear Member

I did not change the spring isolators in the front. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Quick Reply: rough ride