5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

lowering springs..

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 02:08 AM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

Default lowering springs..

I need new front shocks, as one is leaking oil, and i think they're both original anyhow. Anyways, as i was looking at them, i got the idea for lowering springs. Anybody have a preference for brand name or a place with a good price? I'm not sure how low I wanna go, because railroad tracks suck ***** in central Illinois. I'm looking to lower the whole car. Is it necessary to lower the front end more than the back to make it slope down towards the front? I've just read a few threads on other sites about the subject, i wasn't sure if the 4.6L stuff on here would be good or not. Thanks all.
-kyle
Old 10-07-2004, 02:15 AM
stangcrazy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: lowering springs..

I heard Eibach are some nice springs
Old 10-07-2004, 02:20 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Steeda, man I their are so many good brands its crazy. Just buy from a reputable dealer and you wont have any quality issues.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:24 AM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

should i lower the front more than the back though? they're all stock springs on there now, so like 2.5" in the back and 1.5" in the front? or 2.5" and 2.0"? i'm not sure how much of a slope that will look like or anything, i'm out on a limb here
Old 10-07-2004, 04:23 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Dont worry about putting differnt rated springs on the front or back. Brands such as Eibach and Steeda worry about that crap for you and sell kits for vehicles. Steeda offers Sportline springs and are advertised to lower the vehicle about 1.25 inchs all around. Ive seen some cars with those springs and they make the car set at a very nice stance. Eibach sells the Pro-Kit (advertised as 1.5" all around) and the Sportline Kit (advertised as 2.0" all around), both are awesome kits and they will make your car handle like mad. Be careful when lowering your car 2 or more inches though. Lots of people have problems with their e-brake assembly rubbing the driveshaft, causing some very annoying and major problems.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:04 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

do you want a hotrod look? like raised in the back with fat tires? or what?
Old 10-07-2004, 05:38 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: settled4automatic

I'm looking to lower the whole car.
I think thats what he is wanting to do... LOL
Old 10-07-2004, 12:39 PM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

well, lowering the car is more geared towards just looks right now, but i plan to put mods on it as time goes on, so later on it would be nice to set it up for some fatter tires to still run on the street. i won't make a full out drag car with it. soooo, just looks at the moment.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Fishhawk
2nd Gear Member

Ford suggests to NOT lower your car more then one inch. Anything lower and you are messing with front end geomitry. I installed Ford Racing springs on my GT and the car looks and handles great. .75" in front and .5" in back. However, I made the mistake of using KYB Non-adjustable shocks and I hate them. Unless you like to feel like your riding on a pogo stick I would suggest adjustable KYB or maybe Bilstein or Koni.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Mustang Guy

does anyone know of any springs that are stiff and have a good loweing besides the ford racing springs..

Also how so does anything lower then 1in drop mess with front end geomitry?

Quick Reply: lowering springs..