5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

***NEED SOME HELP***

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 05:05 PM
tommyboy1989

Default ***NEED SOME HELP***

Can some one tell me how to put in a new starter and starter seleniod and/or tell me a website that would help me? its a 2.3l 1988 lx
Old 10-10-2004, 08:16 PM
gmkilla
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ***NEED SOME HELP***

The starter solenoid is easy, its the round black thing on the drivers side inner fender near the battery under that black cover, if its not missing like on many stangs. Just make sure you take note of which wires are on which side of the thing. Probably are 3 terminals, one small with a single wire, 2 larger with a nut holding on wires. THere are just 2 screws holding it, and there a few bucks at a parts store.

As for the starter, bust out the jack and get that thing in the air. Crawl underneath on the passenger side, the starter motor is bolted to the front side of the bellhousingby two bolts. So again, discoonect the wires to it, make note of where they go, then unbolt. Its either 1/2 or 9/16, don't remember which. NO shims needed on fords, so just through a new one on place and bolt back together.

Dunno why you need to replace, but just incase...if its not turning over but you here a click, probably just the soleniod. to check, just put the key in the run position, and touch a screw driver across the two big terminals, if it cranks then, just your solenoid is bad. Also check grounds...I once got an 89 LX 5.0 for 100 bux because the kid thought the motor was blown and thats why it wouldn't start...brought it home and messed with...bad ground was all, had it running in minutes.

-chris