5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Continuing fuel pump issues....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 04:46 PM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Continuing fuel pump issues....

ORIGINAL: Edge_of_Sanity

but the fact that it was running even with the key off is weird. Id run a new power wire and fuse it myself, hook from the battery to the new fuse then buy a Painless switch, then splice into the factory wire harness so you dont have to drop the tank( you can find it on the passenger side under the spare tire where it goes into the fuel tank), then take the fuse out of the fusebox.
This will be a new system and you dont have to worry about the weird problems anymore.
Maybe someday, But for now I just wanna get it runnin and get the dam thing back from advanced auto. It sucks, I got to drive the car like 3 times at the most, and now I"m stuch drivin mom's 4 cyl station wagon
Old 01-25-2007, 04:50 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

it honestly sounds to me like some has "jerry-rigged" the wiring already. i've run into this before. a little different, but still the same. 1 customer's car was worked on at some hole in the wall shop, and then she came to me. Turns out, when they lied to her and charged her for a fuel tank install, all they did was run a new power wire to the pump, to fix a corroded section. They just jammed the power wire in with a fuse that came on with the key, and collected their money. Turns out it was making the pump stay priming, and for whatever reason, killed the pump eventually. You just bought the car? Check the fuse box for a random wire plugged into a fuse that comes on with the key.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:56 PM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

[:@]I remember seen 2 wires stuck in with 2 fuses. Not sure where they lead too, but I thought it was kinda weird lookin.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:59 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

you might wanna do a little tracing. after that relay issue, i'm thinking there is a short in the wiring going to the relay, and the pump has been straight wired to an ignition source.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:02 PM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

well say one of those ghetto wires does go to the fuel pump, what would be my fix for that?
Old 01-25-2007, 05:07 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

if that turns out to be the problem, i'll help you with the new wiring your gonna have to do. just let me know.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:08 PM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

ok, well I should be goin to check it out today in like an hr, so I'll see what happens and let ya know tonight.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:15 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

ok sounds good
Old 01-25-2007, 11:24 PM
pastfast125
4th Gear Member

I didn't get out till it was dark, so I couldn't trace those wires from the fuse box. I tried the inertia switch, no go. If I do end up rewiring the fuel pump, how do I make it so it doens't run continuously? Wire up a relay too? I'm startin to think if I can't find this problem within the next few days, just wire it up and be done with it, that way I know how it's done, I know where everything is ya know? We'll see what happens I guess.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:45 PM
turbosha
3rd Gear Member

theres a pink wire where the pigtail goes in thru the trunk to the tank. take a hot wire { direct from battery} skin the wire back alittle and touch the pink wire.you should hear the pump kick on . if it does then cut the wire and install a offroad lighting relay via instructions and you wont have any more problems, thats what i did when i converted to carb.

Quick Reply: Continuing fuel pump issues....