5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fuel concerns

Old 10-09-2004, 04:36 AM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

Default fuel concerns

hey guys I have a couple questions. 1)I just replaced my tps on my 88'LX and it seems my idle is alot higher at normal operating temp then it used to be. It used to idle at around 700 or 800 r.p.m.,now it idles at about 1300 or 1400 r.p.m. Is this normal? Also the reason I replaced the tps is when my car is cold and I go to start it , it starts but dies right away. I'll go and start it again and it will stay running with no problems. I've replaced the IAC and as I said before I replaced the TPS. I'm leaning towards either a plugged fuel filter or my fuel pump isn't keeping the correct pressure to start the car and keep it running on the initial start up. Please give me your expert advise--it would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 10-09-2004, 06:39 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: fuel concerns

when you put your tps on, did you check to see the voltage it was it? set it to .98
Old 10-09-2004, 07:49 AM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

just curious, how do you check/reset your TPS voltage, i have some idle problems and curious if this could be a probelm??? thanks
Old 10-09-2004, 07:52 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

get a volt meater, unplug tps, turn key on, engine off, put one wire on postivie, one on negitive, and you'll get a reading... you can put it at around .98, and it'll make for more throttle response, makes it feel more snapy
Old 10-09-2004, 07:56 AM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

how do you adjust it if its not at .98? if its higher or lower than this number what happens to throttle response? and will this make my idle go up or down.?
Old 10-09-2004, 08:20 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

it changes idle a lil bit, running it high will make your car run rich, and lowe will make it lean... if its not around 98, just un loosen the 2 screws that holds it down, and turn it a little, im not sure if you have to make the screw holes bigger to get it to 98.... i just did because i was messing around with it, you can set it higher than 98 but then the idle sticks up high and dont run very well......
Old 10-11-2004, 06:45 AM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

NEMETHJAMES1, I'm still a little confused on how to check the TPS voltage. You said to unplug the TPS,turn key on--engine off and put a voltameter on a positive wire and negative wire but what exact wires are you talking about??? Also you said to adjust it you need to take the two screws out and turn it-- what am I turning,the actual TPS or that piece thats inside where the TPS goes on to??? I'm sorry if these questions sound stupid but if I don't ask I'll never know!!
ORIGINAL: nemethjames1

get a volt meater, unplug tps, turn key on, engine off, put one wire on postivie, one on negitive, and you'll get a reading... you can put it at around .98, and it'll make for more throttle response, makes it feel more snapy
Old 10-11-2004, 02:46 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

you use the digital voltmeter to check the output voltage of the TPS by using the positive meter lead to probe the green wire coming from the TPS while having the negative meter lead grounded to the engine. with the key on but engine off and throttle closed all the way, the voltage should read less than 1.0 volts. too much less and the ECU is not as responsive as it could be as it sees the throttle open only from 1-4 volts, so if you set it up to .98 volts, then as soon as you step on it, the ECU "sees" it and will respond. you don't have to remove any screws to adjust it just loosen the two screws that hold it down and rotate it in place and watch the voltage change. then tighten down the screws when you get the voltage where you want it. you might have to remove the whole thing and elongate the screw holes in order to get it to move far enough to get to .98 volts, but this is easy to do with a Dremel tool. once you get it set with throttle closed, check the voltage at WOT and make sure it is above 4.0 volts. you should see the voltage change upwards as the throttle is opened and downward as it is closed. if not, then replace the TPS.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:07 PM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

Thanks alot ROUNDMAN, I understand how to do it now. But I still have one more question--do I still have to unplug the TPS before I check the voltage? Thankyou for your help!
Old 10-11-2004, 05:41 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

NO, you have to check most all the sensors with them plugged in as they get their reference voltage signal from the battery. unplugged, they would not read anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel concerns