5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Adjustible Tie Rod End problems.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:33 PM
frankbullitt
2nd Gear Member

Default Adjustible Tie Rod End problems.

I just got done putting steeda adjustible tie rod ends in my 95 gt yday. When i installed them i also replaced my inner tie rods. Now before I put the new tie rods in, the inner part of the left rim would rub on the control arm when I turn the wheel completely to the left. I realized that the left side tie rod end wasnt threaded in as far as the right side, the side that gave me no problem, so measured the length and adjusted the new rod ends to that length. Now both sides rims rub on the control arms. I turn right the right side rubs and vice versa. I got an alignment today and pretty much no difference. the people who did it said they couldnt align the right side. they said the wheel wont go in any further. So my last choice is take it to a body shop and see if anything if ****ed up. My suspension setup is stock besides the fact that i have prothane sway bar end links and steeda x2 balljoints. I out those ball joints because old one broke and i plan on lowering it. Anyone have any problems with these tie rod end kits? any guess on what the problem might be is greatly appriciated.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:36 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Adjustible Tie Rod End problems.

your problem is those ball joints. they are made in a certain way to correct caster adjustments for lowering. you will not be able to fix this until you lower the car.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:38 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I would strongly recommend disconnecting your tie rod ends (outer) and disconnect yoursteering shaft. Center your steering wheel inside the car and either have someone hold it or prop it straight so it doesnt move. Center the steering rack and re-adjust the tie-rod ends accordingly, then return for an alignment. If your car was previously aligned by a tech that had no clue what they were doing, the whole steering system could have been shifted, allowing further travel to one side or the other. I had the same issue with my right wheel scraping against the control arm, so i had to recenter my entire steering system as well. it seems to be fairly common
Old 01-27-2007, 05:44 PM
frankbullitt
2nd Gear Member

Is it hard to disconnect the steering shaft? do i need any special purpose tools to rent? I wanted to wait till i got my tax check to buy the FRPP suspension kit for the sn95 but do you think I should just buy th springs? the post before your says that might fix it. thanks alot.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:48 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

no its just 1 bolt, the shaft will pull off.

try some offset rack bushings as well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-84...spagenameZWD1V
Old 01-27-2007, 05:51 PM
frankbullitt
2nd Gear Member

Mattdel thanks. for the link. The tie rod ends have spacers to help adjust the setup. should i re arrange the spacers? thanks again. really apperciate the help
Old 01-27-2007, 05:54 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

if you already have offset rack bushings in, with those balljoints, you need to lower it. you have effectively setup your steering geometry for a lowered vehicle. no way to correct this by tweaking with adjustments.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:54 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: frankbullitt

Is it hard to disconnect the steering shaft? do i need any special purpose tools to rent? I wanted to wait till i got my tax check to buy the FRPP suspension kit for the sn95 but do you think I should just buy th springs? the post before your says that might fix it. thanks alot.
Are you talking about the M-5400-A mustang handling kit? If so, thats the same setup I have in my car, and it will be coming out soon in favor ora set of adjustable struts. If youd be interested, I can make you a hell of a deal!
Old 01-27-2007, 05:59 PM
frankbullitt
2nd Gear Member

so i guess ill just lower the thing and order the off set rack bushing. yea thats the set I was looking it to, why are you getting rid of it and are you getting ride of all the parts? (i.e. sway bars, struts, shocks) what kind of set up are you going for? I plan on seting my stang up for street/ road racing. I like curves. how much would you be selling them for?
Old 01-27-2007, 06:13 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: frankbullitt

so i guess ill just lower the thing and order the off set rack bushing. yea thats the set I was looking it to, why are you getting rid of it and are you getting ride of all the parts? (i.e. sway bars, struts, shocks) what kind of set up are you going for? I plan on seting my stang up for street/ road racing. I like curves. how much would you be selling them for?
actually believe it or not, the sway bars arent any bigger than your stock ones. Mine were smaller stock b/c i had a cobra (why ford went smaller... idk)

I'll be leaving the sway bars on unless I can find something else i like. Im just not happy with the kit as a whole... my car isnt low enough, straight line performance suffers slightly due to the stiffness of the shocks and struts from their lack of adjustability, however cornering, I love it. Im going with a set of tokico d-spec shocks and struts, maybe even strange 10 way adjustables... and some H&R SS springs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adjustible Tie Rod End problems.