5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Problems: possibly PCV related

Old 01-28-2007, 12:31 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Problems: possibly PCV related

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

Youre absolutely right about the vacuum hose that goes to the valvecover. It becomes a boost hose on the throttle. Your idea may work, it is the right priciple, but I think you should not only go with a venting capbut alsoroute the hose from the valvecover to the inlet side of the supercharger. Under boost that thing is sucking in some serious air. This will create a venturi type effect and help scavenge the crankcase while getting fresh air from the cap when on the throttle. At idle it will either do the same on a much smaller level, or just vent back out your cap. Include one of those fancy oil seperators they sell for Cobras. Thissystem overall isvery similar to the setups on the Cobra and Lightning. Their system is much more contained but still uses the fast moving air inlet to scavenge the crankcase when not under a vacuum. There is no oil seperator in their system, however. Consequently oil likes to pool in the bottom of the intake[:'(]
That won't be a problem. I rerouted my PCV system as well. Now instead of going to the upper intake, it goes through an oil seperator I put together. Then it goes through a filter and vents into the atmosphere. Work's great (as far as keeping oil out of the intake.) Not to environmentally friendly though
Old 01-28-2007, 12:34 AM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

i think they twist out.. if not.. take one of youre spare valve covers and look under it to see how it is held on.. mayybe with a little grinding with a dremel it would come right out. just and idea for ya.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:05 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Yeah, guess it wouldnt hurt to rip the baffles off on one of the spare sets to see how it's held in there. Not like I'm ever gonna use them. I have two stock spare sets, one stock set on the mustang, and one chrome set from Summit.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:10 AM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

LOL! well if you got that many sets of valve covers then why not.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:29 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Sam, I run a twist in breather on the pass side and the hose from the t/b to the pass side v/c is gone per ATI's instructions! No issues.

Is this a new issue? You've had this set up for a while now right? Do you still have the install instructions for your blower? there is a specific paragrapf that tells what to do w/ the hose from the valve cover tube.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:23 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

It seems to be a new issue and yeah I have had this setup for awhile. I think I may have found why I never noticed it before though.

Tonight I checked the oil and noticed it was about 1/8 of an inch above the fill line, but it was otherwise clean and normal. So for some F'ed up reason, tehre seemed to be a LOT of extra oil in there (figuring there was if some sprayed out and there was still too much in there.)

So the pressure could ahve existed before and it could have blown out the dipstick a little, but I wouldn't ahve easily noticed because there was no messy oil or white smoke to give it away.) That's all I can think of, although i can't figure out how I ended up with too much oil in there. Unless too much was put in to begin with and the rest settled over the winter.

Not sure what I did with the original instruction book. I'll have to find one either in PDF format or call and have ATI send me one. Not sure how I missed that step with the v/c tube. I got the idea about venting the PCV from them, so I must have been in a dumb-*** mode to overlook this!

Did you remove the hose and cap off both ends? That's what I'm going to do tomorrow (and install the breather cap I fabricated.) Should have a test run by tomorrow evening.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:26 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

No I did something w/ installing a new hose. If I can get my scanner to work tomorrow, I'll scan the pages and post or pm them to ya.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:29 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

No I did something w/ installing a new hose. If I can get my scanner to work tomorrow, I'll scan the pages and post or pm them to ya.
Damn, looks like I won't get away with the super simple solution

Cool, that would be a great help if you coulddo that! Still not sure how I missed that. I also cant believe how blatantly obvious the problem was. The whole time I'm thinking that my PCV is bad (you may recall a few months ago I was complaining about it and replaced the entire setup.) And the whole time, I had a tube that was forcing air into the v/c!
Old 01-28-2007, 02:30 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

LOL, yeah I remeber
Old 01-28-2007, 06:18 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

I think I have a possible solution for that, but I want to double check before I go and make things worse, LoL. Here's what I want to do.

Disconnect the hose from both the throttle body and from the oil filler tube. Then plug off both holes. Now that will prevent boost from getting in the filler tube, but as you said above, that will prevent fresh air from getting in as well.

So to solve that problem, I remove the stock oil cap and replace it with a breather cap. That way, instead of being an airtight cap, it is allowing air to come in (after being filtered of course) and it can also let excess pressure vent out if boost happens to get in the crankcase via blowby. Will that work? I think it's essentially the same as leaving the tube there, as it will be getting normal outside air and it is filtered via the filters in the breather cap itself.

I may even get creative and make a breather cap myself. I have two extra stock oil caps. I may be able to drill a large hole in one and install a rubber grommet. I can then push in a valve cover breather in the grommet and then screw the cap back on. Or I could stop being cheap and just buy the one I linked to above.
If you run a filter breather cap, then get rid of the pcv valve as well. Under vac (as in at idle) this will create what is essentially a vac leak.

Pro50 will get you on a good path though

I prefer to keep a closed pcv system with a fresh air inlet, as it helps keep the crankcase cleaner and can reduce sludge formation.
jason

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems: possibly PCV related