5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

pics of the heater core project

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:33 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: pics of the heater core project

ORIGINAL: Maxwelhse

ORIGINAL: alec3369
I have one question. I heard somewhere that i should change the ac evaporator ( or something like that) also. Should i change this while i have the dash off?
You should only need to change the evaporator (sometimes called the dryer; the big beer can under your hood) if you unhooked it. You can change the heater core w/o disconnecting the A/C if you just bend the bracket on the firewall past its mounting stud to free some slack in the HVAC box.

If you unhooked it you'll need to change the evaporator and orifice tube and re-charge. I've heard 'Stangs respond well to R134a (much cheaper than the R12) so a conversion may be a huge cost save for ya. I plan to do mine in the spring since I have my own A/C charging gear. After 16 years the R12 still blows "cool" though.
The evaporator and the drier(aka the accumulator) are two different pieces. Get your facts straight before givving out mis info!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:36 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

on any 87-93 regardless of a/c or not, yo need to pull the dash to access the heater core, in 86 an older non a/c theres an access panel behind the glovebox
really i didnt know that you just saved me a **** load of time my boss was gunna help me take the dash apart in a couple weeks
Old 01-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC
The evaporator and the drier(aka the accumulator) are two different pieces. Get your facts straight before givving out mis info!!!
Sorry cheif, got my jargon confused. The evaporator the cold side of the heat exchange circuit (condensor being the hot side). Right?

And the dryer is the beer can looking thing... Which makes the point the same...

Thanks for the correction though.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:51 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

uhh blue.. those "extra" 3 bolts on my hvac case were far behind the firewall cowl. i lost a 3/8's wrench tryin to get to them.

instead i just got very angry and i ripped the case open as much as i could with just the 2 bolts off the front... worked pretty good.. besides the speedo cable snapping lol
Old 02-01-2007, 12:16 AM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

I'm at that stage in this same project, dash is out, entire hvac console is out, was a pita to replace the accumulator, had to slice the whole case open carefully so I can rtv/bolt it back together. Wiring behind the dash is in really rough shape and can't find a schematic....have fun!
Old 02-01-2007, 01:35 AM
BOOK EM DANO
1st Gear Member

I have done 2 mustang heater cores in my lifetime so far. The first was for my evil sister's 77 Mustang II, it was the early 80's and I remember it was a real bitch. (Wow, that shows my age!) The second mustang heater core was an 87 GT about tens years ago for a friend of mine and I remember it was a real bitch also. When my heater core goes out will you guys come over and help me?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:31 AM
88droptopgt
2nd Gear Member

Good work, now come do mine!
Old 02-01-2007, 12:05 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i was wondering, my heat use to work until i replaced my water pump which was bad. when the water pump was replace my heatercore like exploded coolant all over my floor. so now i have to replace the core. i bypassed the core for now and now my a/c and heat controlls dont work. did i disconnect something or did somethign else go bad? no air blows out at all from any vents
Old 02-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

i was wondering, my heat use to work until i replaced my water pump which was bad. when the water pump was replace my heatercore like exploded coolant all over my floor. so now i have to replace the core. i bypassed the core for now and now my a/c and heat controlls dont work. did i disconnect something or did somethign else go bad? no air blows out at all from any vents
As far as the core exploding goes, its common to find the weak link in a system that has been flowing poorly after something is done to correct the flow. Your old water pump probably was full of junk and the new one is, well, new. So, the additional flow probably proved too much for the old core to handle. My car popped the core backing it in to the garage after a severe coolant flush. It was probably less than 10 minutes later.

As far as no HVAC controls go, something is hosed but the two shouldn't be directly related.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:00 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

my heater core went then i put the bars stop leak in it...i know bad idea it was 2 years ago...then my radiator got destroyed by my fan and so did my water pump so i replaced them both and 3 days later my heater core was leaking like a mother not just on the passenger side but it was flowing arcoss something onto the drivers side not fun trying to drive with slippery feet

Quick Reply: pics of the heater core project