5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Does a gear install affect the odometer and trip odometer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:07 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Does a gear install affect the odometer and trip odometer?

ORIGINAL: WhiteFoxGT

ORIGINAL: dimebag

i dont have urs. what is it again. as for tm night, i work untill 930-10 in elkton. i dunno about after that. my only free nights are fridays. thats what i get for working 2 jobs and going to college fulltime(deltech, everyday)
I'll shoot you a PM.

Adder, no offense, but calling a gear install a hack job because you havent installed the speedo gear is BS. Most of the posts I see from you is you raggin on other peoples work or opinions. Get a life
+1
Old 01-29-2007, 07:40 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: dimebag

i dont have urs. what is it again. as for tm night, i work untill 930-10 in elkton. i dunno about after that. my only free nights are fridays. thats what i get for working 2 jobs and going to college fulltime(deltech, everyday)
I'll shoot you a PM.

Adder, no offense, but calling a gear install a hack job because you havent installed the speedo gear is BS. Most of the posts I see from you is you raggin on other peoples work or opinions. Get a life
you seem to be missing the point here... I dont think Vig installed his gears on his own... therefor the shop who did his install, half assed it. And if I lived anywhere near him, I would avoid that shop personally. They should have mentioned that he would need a correction gear and given him the option to have them install it.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:44 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

So am I a hack because I just did my gears Saturday and didnt install the speedo gear? I understand its a simple swap but if the shop isnt told to instal something, then why rag on them when they didnt? While we are on topic, would you happen to know if the 23tooth (white) driven gear is the one I will need? I have 3.73s with a T5Z. Used to have 2.73s
Old 01-29-2007, 07:48 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

using the 23 tooth gear is actually the incorrect way to do it. your speedo will still be 5-7mph off.

what you need to find out is what color the drive gear is in your tranny, or at the very least, what color speedo gear you have.

The 23 tooth gear is not a ford part and will wear excessively fast

*EDIT* Please view the attached image!

[IMG]local://upfiles/26017/9215BFD8F5BB47739BBF8EA117EC058F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-29-2007, 08:19 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

So am I a hack because I just did my gears Saturday and didnt install the speedo gear? I understand its a simple swap but if the shop isnt told to instal something, then why rag on them when they didnt? While we are on topic, would you happen to know if the 23tooth (white) driven gear is the one I will need? I have 3.73s with a T5Z. Used to have 2.73s
any shop that doesn't recommend obvious things or needed things isn't a good shop. They aren't concerned with job quality or customer satisfaction, all they want is your quick $ and get out.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:22 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: mattdel

any shop that doesn't recommend obvious things or needed things isn't a good shop. They aren't concerned with job quality or customer satisfaction, all they want is your quick $ and get out.
THAT was the point i was trying to make
Old 01-29-2007, 08:23 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

ORIGINAL: mattdel

I'm aware of this, but we dont really know if they asked him about it or not. I've been workin for Ford now for almost a year and at an independant shop before that, so I know how service writers are [8D]
Old 01-29-2007, 08:30 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I'm aware of this, but we dont really know if they asked him about it or not. I've been workin for Ford now for almost a year and at an independant shop before that, so I know how service writers are [8D]
OMG... dont even get me started on the service writers at the dealership I work for.... [:@]
Old 01-29-2007, 08:38 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

ok well were on the subject of speedo gears...

i just got 3.55 gears for my '93 w/ a t-5, and i got the driven gear that the chart on 50resto.com said to get, but after lookin atthe chart Adder posted it said i cant get the right combination of correction gears,

so can anyone w/ that year transmission and those gears tell me what they used? or Adder if you know what to do...

thanks
Old 01-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Monstang
2nd Gear Member

I have 2 questions.
Addy, what is the formula that your image referred to?
How rev. per mile does a 26" M/T street slicks do?

Quick Reply: Does a gear install affect the odometer and trip odometer?