5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Advice needed: got some extra $$$

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 03:35 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Advice needed: got some extra $$$

as a side note: I'd be less worried about tune, but with larger injectors, different cam, different intake, different heads, and different N2O jets I think it may be a good idea, lol.

Although to be honest, I'm not so sure I like the new setup anyway. I never though I'd say this but it may be too much HP for my DD. It was perfect when I was at 320 RWHP... I could use the nitrous and bump it up to 430 RWHP. But the newer setup just seems to be too much, even without the nitrous. It's gonna force me to upgrade tires, injectors, control arms, etc and even then I would have to do more just to keep from spinning all the time.

It may sound crazy, but I'm thinknig of going back to the old setup with the stock H/C/I and go back to the 320 RWHP. Then I would take this setup with the new H/C/I and bolt it into my spare 302 that I posted pics of awhile back... stroke it out to a 347, spend $2,500 or so for a S/C and toss it into a 93 coupe that a guy here is selling for 1,200 (blown engine.)

I'd love to keep some power in my 95 vert for the sleeper look, but I'd also love to have a nice coupe to beat on at the tracks. I figure I can get the engine built, get a S/C, get teh car, and get nitrous all for under $4,000 total, which is pretty damned good. Then I don't ahve to be worried about scratching paint or wrecking it at the tracks and I don't have to worry about the guys at Epping inspecting the **** outta the rollbar in the vert, lol.

I know, seems dumb to put it all on the engine then take it back off, but it gives me something to do! After all, I do need something to work on! lol. And I would still get to keep some nice power on the vert with the S/C / nitrous.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Glasersil
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I see your point. My car is a weekend/track car.. I'm going to get mine tuned after I finish the install. But I may drive it around a little first I don't think it would hurt anything. The tune is just to get extra hp outta of it IMO.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:44 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

as a side note: I'd be less worried about tune, but with larger injectors, different cam, different intake, different heads, and different N2O jets I think it may be a good idea, lol.

Although to be honest, I'm not so sure I like the new setup anyway. I never though I'd say this but it may be too much HP for my DD. It was perfect when I was at 320 RWHP... I could use the nitrous and bump it up to 430 RWHP. But the newer setup just seems to be too much, even without the nitrous. It's gonna force me to upgrade tires, injectors, control arms, etc and even then I would have to do more just to keep from spinning all the time.

It may sound crazy, but I'm thinknig of going back to the old setup with the stock H/C/I and go back to the 320 RWHP. Then I would take this setup with the new H/C/I and bolt it into my spare 302 that I posted pics of awhile back... stroke it out to a 347, spend $2,500 or so for a S/C and toss it into a 93 coupe that a guy here is selling for 1,200 (blown engine.)

I'd love to keep some power in my 95 vert for the sleeper look, but I'd also love to have a nice coupe to beat on at the tracks. I figure I can get the engine built, get a S/C, get teh car, and get nitrous all for under $4,000 total, which is pretty damned good. Then I don't ahve to be worried about scratching paint or wrecking it at the tracks and I don't have to worry about the guys at Epping inspecting the **** outta the rollbar in the vert, lol.

I know, seems dumb to put it all on the engine then take it back off, but it gives me something to do! After all, I do need something to work on! lol. And I would still get to keep some nice power on the vert with the S/C / nitrous.
lol. i saw 3 guys going through that hassle last year the last day i went down there. lol i couldnt help butsnicker a little cause they took like 30-45 mins too look over each car when i was through tech inspecin like 3-5 mins tops. but it is better to be safe then sorry so i can understand that though.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:49 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Glasersil

Yeah I see your point. My car is a weekend/track car.. I'm going to get mine tuned after I finish the install. But I may drive it around a little first I don't think it would hurt anything. The tune is just to get extra hp outta of it IMO.
That, and they do it so you don't run too lean when under boost at WOT. Our hyper pistons do NOT like detonation
Old 01-30-2007, 03:53 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frdmstng1986GT
lol. i saw 3 guys going through that hassle last year the last day i went down there. lol i couldnt help butsnicker a little cause they took like 30-45 mins too look over each car when i was through tech inspecin like 3-5 mins tops. but it is better to be safe then sorry so i can understand that though.
Oh it's horrible. If you show up with a vert and run under 14 sec, you might as well forget about it, lol. Then add nitrous to that and relocate the battery to the trunk!!! I'm ready to just get an ugly *** coupe and be done with it.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Glasersil
3rd Gear Member

My vortech kit came with a FMU. So I think it will adjust for me. But I still want to get it tuned.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Glasersil
3rd Gear Member

That sucks, when I was at the track in Indiana they just let me thru. But I run over 14 sec. Still I don't want some ugly rollbar in my car. If I did have to put one I would make it bolted so I could remove it around town. Maybe put some fake welds ahahah
Old 01-30-2007, 04:08 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

You can get a bolt-on rollbar that doesnt look too bad. Mine isn't all that bad and can come out semi-easily. I admit it probably isn't as safe since it's a bolt-on, but it gets the job done.

I was going to actually get one of the roadster rear seat covers to go with the rollbar to make it look like a 2-seater, but I thought it would be too rice.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Glasersil
3rd Gear Member

Where did you get the rollbar? Do you have a link or a picture? Also did your procharger come with a FMU?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:16 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

That's not my rollbar, that was just a pic I found on the web showing the hard tonneau cover I was looking at for the rear seats. I'll see if I can find a pic of the rollbar I have ( at work so can't take new pics here.)

Quick Reply: Advice needed: got some extra $$$