5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What do you guys do to prevent theft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Lx88Notch
1st Gear Member

Default What do you guys do to prevent theft?

hey guys, i was wondering any small "secrets" you guys have to prevent your car from being started. i have my 88 that has an alarm with 3 sirens, 2 back-up batteries, one with its own siren and key, an ignition kill relay, a club, i also take the rotor out of the dizzy when its parked, and i hit the fuel kill button in the back. now i only ask this because 3 years ago my 89 was stolen along with my motorcycle, and recently this past saturday my nieghbours 93 gt was stolen, and they sawed her club off and were even generous enough to leave the dead battery they replaced on her doorstep. i know im paranoid, but now my lx is the only foxbody in my development, and i wasnt home on saturday so i feel mine was a target aswell. any small suggestions that can hinder or stump a thief is welcomed. and before you mention it, ialready have my springfield and a patio to sit and wait.

eden
Old 01-30-2007, 08:19 PM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: What do you guys do to prevent theft?

dont like get a alarm with those blue blinky lights....because as people walk but they'll be like "hey that car must havesomething of value in it"
dont u have a garage?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:19 PM
turbosha
3rd Gear Member

i keep mine locked in the basement , with a pit bull sleeping under it
Old 01-30-2007, 08:23 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

locked in garage and a quick release steering wheel.where i go my steering wheel goes.

oh and it won't start........................that helps.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Lx88Notch
1st Gear Member

my "armed" led is under my dash, no visible blinking lights, and i wish i had a garage but all i got right now is a nice 19 year old car and a house in the ghetto. its just that mine was taken from the spot i park in now and my friend had his stolen a few months back. its not a bentley or rolls but down here in florida they are desirable i guess.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:29 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

get comprehensive insurance... just incase
Old 01-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Lx88Notch
1st Gear Member

ya, i have full coverage everything as far as insurance. its just that the value of the car to me is not in some stupid book that insurance companies have. to them an 88 with 42,000 miles and a bunch of mods is nothing, to me or one of you guys its worth more. plus if you have had anything stolen before, and never got it back, its a crappy feeling.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:07 PM
ErikSTANG
2nd Gear Member

quick release steering wheel, hidden "unique" kill switch, and fuel cut off with a decently loud alarm and i dont see how they could get it, unless they jus sorta put it on a trailor...make the kill switch unique, i have mine(shhhh) as the cigette lighter, it must be pushed in(casing the switch to activate when current is pushed into the lighter) to start my car.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

If you're primarily storing it, put it on stands and take the wheels inside.

Short of that, I'd sell the thing and use the cash to move!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:17 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

my fuel pump and ingition have fuses to them in the engine compartment so i just pull the fuses and ill take the rotor out of the dissy there was an alarm in my car but it was messing with the electrical so i pulled it out and cut all the wires to it. my car also doesnt lock on the drivers side so i dont drive it to the mall just home work and friends houses but was also have a pretty safe town

Quick Reply: What do you guys do to prevent theft?