5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

So what's the story on....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 04:27 PM
ncascademtns
1st Gear Member

Default So what's the story on....

adjusting valves with an EFI intake? I have to put the valve covers on first before the upper intake goes on. But once the intakes on, I can't adjust the valves. Should I be reading my manual before asking this question?
Maybe I'm just used to working on imports?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:53 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Default RE: So what's the story on....

There is no way to get the covers off without taking the intake off, same is true for getting them back on. It sounds like you already know how to adjust the rockers, but in case you don't here's a post I just made on the subject

Rockers are easy. Crank the #1 cylinder to TDC on the exhaust stroke, both lifters will be at the lowes point in their travel (crank the engine around a bit, you will see what this looks like..makes things easier). Grip the pushrod between your thumb and index finger, and twirl it back and forth LIGHTLY and quickly. Start turning the nut on the rocker slowly until the pushrod JUST stops moving. Of course you'll be able to wrench it around, but stop when you can't move it just with extremely light effort. This is zero lash. After that, turn the rocker nut 1/2-3/4 of a turn, and if there is an allen head in the middle of it tighten that down. Do this for both rockers, and that cylinder is done. Now turn the crank 1/4 revolution, and do the next cylinder in the firing order. If you don't want to worry about how to turn the crank exactly 1/4 of a turn, just watch the lifters in their travel. The firing order for a HO is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:56 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

There is no valve adjustment on a STOCK 302 HO head. There are no provisions on stock rockers to adjust em, Theyre bolt down fulcrum. Regardless the lifters are hydraulic and are selfadjusting. Even if it did have adjustable rockers, the lifters wouldve bled down at that point and it wouldnt be accurate anyway.
-P.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:58 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

My mistake, I read the post and started thinking he was talking about adj. rockers.[:@]
Old 02-01-2007, 07:01 PM
richs347
1st Gear Member

If you have a 347 as in your signature, I doubt you have stock rockers...but you never know. This is for aftermarket stud mounted rockers:

http://mustangpartstech.com/AdjustingRollerRockers.html
Old 02-02-2007, 01:04 PM
ncascademtns
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info.
I have Crane rockers. I am use to building imports.
I bought the motor complete from a guy who had to offload itfast due to family problems. I'm just getting around to getting it into my car.
Aftermarket stuff has been a pain in the rear. I can't use my aftermarket rails because the the distributor doesn't fit. Can't use the aftermarket Procomp distributor because it hits my Cobra lower intake return port on the coolant. So I'm back to stock rails and distributor.

So you're saying with Crane rockers I should adjust them using the link given above?
Thanks.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:22 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

There is no valve adjustment on a STOCK 302 HO head. There are no provisions on stock rockers to adjust em, Theyre bolt down fulcrum. Regardless the lifters are hydraulic and are selfadjusting. Even if it did have adjustable rockers, the lifters wouldve bled down at that point and it wouldnt be accurate anyway.
-P.
there is nothing self adjusting about the valvetrain, you still need some preload on the lifter 1/4 to 1/2 turn past 0 lash.
you cant just get a set of roller rockers and bolt them on, you need to check to make sure there is sufficient preload on all the valves, if there is too much, it will hang the valve open. sorry, I just dissagree with your post
Old 02-02-2007, 11:02 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I found this to be pretty good directions...

http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...M-6564-All.pdf