5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help needed w/ broken bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 11:20 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default Help needed w/ broken bolt

Well, the bolt itself really isnt broken. It's actually stuck in there pretty damned tight. Here's what happened:

I was attemptingto removethe upper intake to change the valve covers (and paint the upper.) All I had left to do was remove the plate and get the two bolts underneath it. Well while trying to remove one of the screws, the damned bit I was using in the screwdriver broke off inside. It was a clean break and it's actually flush with the top of the head. I have no idea how the hell to get this thing out now so that I can finish removing the upper. Here's a pic of the screw. I circled it in red. The shiny part you see is the actual bit itself.

What are my options? No matter what I'm gonna hit it with PB Blaster, but not so sure what I should do next.I didnt think drilling it out would work because it's so small. Should I get a dremmel and just but the head off entirely so I can remove the plate? Or should I try tosomehow break and pry the plate and just buy a new one from summit or something?

The bit is wedged in there REAL tight. This is gonna be ugly....

What makes this worse??? it's not even my Mustang! LoL. A friend liked the aluminum paint on my GT-40 Upper, so we were gonig to remove, clean, and paint his and then replace or at least paint the stock valve covers while we were at it. He doesn't work with engines too much (otehr than tune-ups, etc.) so he didn't feel comfortable removing everything himself.

Damn! I'm screwed, lol. Well at least I can but him another one, or even give him my old plate... if I ever get this one off!
Old 02-01-2007, 11:24 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Help needed w/ broken bolt

I had the same one round off, I just pryed up on the plate and broke the corner off, try an easy out, or get a torx bit thatll fit really tight, and hammer it in there then unscrew it
Old 02-01-2007, 11:27 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Take the dremil and cut a small slit thru it, then use a flat tip screwdriver and drive it out...or you could just drill the head off.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:30 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

take a straight blade screwdriver, place it directly across the middle, and give it a few whacks with a hammer, to make a groove in the screw and the bit. from there you should be able to use some kind of hook or pick to get it out, or possibly turn the whole thing.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:32 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhiteFoxGT

Take the dremil and cut a small slit thru it, then use a flat tip screwdriver and drive it out...or you could just drill the head off.
You are a F-ing genius. I don't know why I never thought of that. I'll have to give it a shot tomorrow. Back home now and not driving over there again. If that works, I'll be so happy I'll give you my GF for the night! LoL
Old 02-01-2007, 11:33 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

take a straight blade screwdriver, place it directly across the middle, and give it a few whacks with a hammer, to make a groove in the screw and the bit. from there you should be able to use some kind of hook or pick to get it out.
Wow, does everyone except me know this simple trick? Seems so easy. And here I was thinknig of using a dremel to cut the entire head off and pull the plate off it. Wow, the GF is sure gonna be tired after tomorrow
Old 02-01-2007, 11:34 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

ahhhh hahaaha yah! i gotta go to maine anyway, maybe we can run a train

[sm=groupwave.gif]
Old 02-01-2007, 11:42 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

you know..all the times I have seen your posts and talked to you on here, and I never realzied you were from MA until you PMed me the other day. Surprised I never saw you at Epping or anything. Did you make it to Fun Ford Weekend there? If you were smart, you stayed home... waste of money this year, lol.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:43 PM
5.0liter_rice_eater
2nd Gear Member

You could get a left-handed drill bit and drill the center of the srew. Once the bitcatches the drill motor will drive it out for you. Just remember to use a bit the same size or smaller then the screw. This way you wont damage any of the surrounding pieces w/ your dremel or have to whack it with a hammer like your working on ap.o.s. chevy.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:44 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

actually i've never been to epping. never heard of it until the other day. i dont even know where it is.

Quick Reply: Help needed w/ broken bolt