5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

CAI...is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:17 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default CAI...is this right?

i just got a cold air intake from a company from ebay and it the exact same thing from summit racing just a diff filter. anyways i go to put it on and for one my air silencer was still in there and i cant even pry it out its like melted to the body or something so i'm gonna have to cut it out. but my problem is, the air filter wont fit through that hole, did you guys have to cut a hole in the engine bay to make your filter fit???? does this even sound right? the hole is too narrow and my filter is round.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:20 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CAI...is this right?

there should be 2 holes.. one is a circular hole that should be capped off and the bigger oval hole is for the air filter.

remove the entire air box if u bought a new CAI
Old 02-05-2007, 03:23 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

I have never installed a fenderwell CAI, but I imagine that you may need to take the inner-fenderwell liner out first. Put the filter in through there, and then connect it to your CAI plumbing... It doesn't need to fit through the hole, only your piping does.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:26 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

i think what he's saying is he's trying to push the filter through the hole ...you have to reach in from underneath the car to connect it.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:46 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

+1 you have to install the filter through the other side. The filter is not supposed to fit through the hole. Thepiping is supposed to go through the hole and the filter on the other side. You shouldnt have to take out your fenderwell either, you should be able to manuever it.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:46 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HC_CrAzYHoRsE

i think what he's saying is he's trying to push the filter through the hole ...you have to reach in from underneath the car to connect it.
thats exactly like sounds like. slide the filter up around the fender and front bumper
Old 02-05-2007, 05:27 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

i wondered the same thing with mine... untill i noticed that i could get under the car and connect it that way...... im sure thats what all CAI systems have you do.... the filter would be too small other wise

ORIGINAL: HC_CrAzYHoRsE

Old 02-05-2007, 05:37 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

also to add to this...i was told filter size matters. if you buy like the big brand name ones they have a bigger oval filter. mine is a circle cone shaped one and i imagine its about the same size...but i've seen some kits have HUGE azz filters....does it matter?
Old 02-05-2007, 10:00 PM
5.0coupe
3rd Gear Member

+1 ON THE MANEVURING
Old 02-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Chitown racer
2nd Gear Member

Its a good idea to grease the inside of the opening that slides over the CAI pipe. The filters on some of these kits fit pretty snug and you could end up having trouble unless you lube it first.

Quick Reply: CAI...is this right?