5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

15k mile oil changes?

Old 02-05-2007, 11:06 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default 15k mile oil changes?

I was at the store today looking for oil as I was planning on changing mine, when the auto zone guy pointed out the mobil 1 extended use with its guarantee to last 15000 miles.... Anyone know if this is bs or not?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 15k mile oil changes?

honestly man its probably much more expensive then the regular stuff you use and personally I would rather have a nice clean oil in my motor....little pieces of metal are always comming off....even though they are supposed to get catched by the filter...not all are....good luck
Old 02-06-2007, 12:01 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

I don't care what they claim, NO oil is EVER staying in my car more than 3K miles
Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

I don't care what they claim, NO oil is EVER staying in my car more than 3K miles
same here hell i change mine every 2k miles im religious about changing my oil
Old 02-06-2007, 12:45 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i get to mine every 3k if i can, usually its 5k tho... 15? **** that....[:@]
Old 02-06-2007, 02:07 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

i thought it wasa little fishy myself but wondered.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:12 AM
Mowin8603
3rd Gear Member

hmm im running Mobil 1 full synthetic right now, and i am going to switch to Amsoil next oil change. no more oil changes for 25,000 miles .[/align][/align]oh and if your ever worried that your oil isnt doing its job, you can actually take a little out and send it to a place that tests it and tell you weather or not you need a change. i guess thats kind of pointless unless you are using an oil that claims to last long than 3k though.. ill try and find a link.[/align]
Old 02-06-2007, 02:24 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

The Mobil 1 high mileage oil isn't much more than regular Mobil 1.

The difference will be in the quality and quantity of the additive package.
The additives in the high mileage will be formulated for higher change intervals.

Yes, 15k mile oil change intervals can be realized.
Todays dino oils could probably be changed at 5k miles with no problems.

If you have metal particles of any significance in your oil, then changing the oil more often is not going to make your motor last longer...
Bad logic there.

Just because the oil isn't being changed, doesn't mean the filter shouldn't be changed.
Still change the filter at 3k miles, and top off oil level.

If you are concerned then send oil samples out at 3k, 4k, 5k, 6k, and so on. Oil analysis isn't all that pricey. If you do it for the first oil change, it will give you a good idea of how often you need to change your oil.

Personally, I plan to use standard Mobil 1, with a filter change every 3k miles and full oil change every 6k miles.
I don't feel there is ANY risk in doing this.

In the 'olden days' (when leaded fuels were still in use), 3k miles was all you could get out of quality oil. Even the cheapest oils on the shelf today are far superior to those oils.
We have stuck with the 3k mile change out of habit, and it does benefit the oil companies.

my thoughts
jason
Old 02-06-2007, 10:35 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

you don't work for autozone do ya? you sound just like the guy I talked to. As you said it was not all that more expensive, If it lasted to 7-10k it seemed like it was worth the extra cost....

ORIGINAL: vristang

The Mobil 1 high mileage oil isn't much more than regular Mobil 1.

The difference will be in the quality and quantity of the additive package.
The additives in the high mileage will be formulated for higher change intervals.

Yes, 15k mile oil change intervals can be realized.
Todays dino oils could probably be changed at 5k miles with no problems.

If you have metal particles of any significance in your oil, then changing the oil more often is not going to make your motor last longer...
Bad logic there.

Just because the oil isn't being changed, doesn't mean the filter shouldn't be changed.
Still change the filter at 3k miles, and top off oil level.

If you are concerned then send oil samples out at 3k, 4k, 5k, 6k, and so on. Oil analysis isn't all that pricey. If you do it for the first oil change, it will give you a good idea of how often you need to change your oil.

Personally, I plan to use standard Mobil 1, with a filter change every 3k miles and full oil change every 6k miles.
I don't feel there is ANY risk in doing this.

In the 'olden days' (when leaded fuels were still in use), 3k miles was all you could get out of quality oil. Even the cheapest oils on the shelf today are far superior to those oils.
We have stuck with the 3k mile change out of habit, and it does benefit the oil companies.

my thoughts
jason
Old 02-06-2007, 10:42 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

the 15k mileage claims are not meant for our old and abused cars... but more for the newer generation of tight tolerance, low emmissions cars.

Has anyone else noticed that companies like ford now recommend using 5w20 synthetic blend in their new cars... Honda does the same. The new motors or today are build to much higher standards than out 5.0's are. Running 15k miles on a clean, new engine, isnt all too unrealistic. Because the motors are built so tight, that they dont get dirty as fast as our old sloppy 302's

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 15k mile oil changes?