5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Figured out my tranny problem...i hope

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:06 AM
85stang1373
2nd Gear Member

Default Figured out my tranny problem...i hope

well a while back i poste something about my tranny not going into second,fourth or reverse and i just talked to my cuzin and he told me that the reason is that i need to put my new KC clutch in. is this true?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:08 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Figured out my tranny problem...i hope

could be usually that would be all gears though and did you check your shifter yet?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:10 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

doubtful... if its the clutch making that the prob it wouldnt just be those gears, itd be them all.....
Old 02-06-2007, 01:12 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i still think its either.... shifter stops not adj right, the piece under the shift lever, on the actually tranny(guides it in each gear... dunno wut its called) got moved, or shifted or somehing. or you have some how just ****ed 2nd 4th syncros(doubtful, but possible)
Old 02-06-2007, 01:16 AM
85stang1373
2nd Gear Member

i actually havnt tried the shifter yet. to cold here. itll take to long to warm the garge so were waitin for it to warm up just a little. i think were gunna try the clutch too because i KNOW its shot. my cousins are jsut liek that. break things or just cut stuff out.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:25 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

so instead of checking the obvious, and possibly fixing your problem with no money,youd rather be a ***** and not go out in the cold and spend a few hundred on a clutch and hope it fixes it? yes a new clutch will be nice, but maybe not nessacery... good move man. it cant be that cold... shyt i just did a tranny swap the other weekend in the snow... and yup its 11* right now, just got back from class, which meant i was in the shop w. no heat all morning(ok so they have heat, but it doesnt work).... its not that bad... hell id rather be a lil cold for 10 min then spend a few hundred bucks just hoping it works... but hey, its ur car/money, do whatcha gotta do... let us know when throwing parts at it and not checking the other possible things works out for ya not trying to be a total dick, but u ask us questions, we give suggestions, u dont check wut we say, n do something totally diff... why ask then?

i still really doubt if it were a bad clutch it would ONLY effect those gears... but hell what do i no?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:32 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

^Flava Flav says..... "woooooooooooooow!!!"^
Old 02-06-2007, 02:30 PM
85stang1373
2nd Gear Member

i already have the clutch. it came with the car. and its -15* here buddy. so its very cold. and i will check it before i put in the clutch but the first one wasnt aftermarket so i really dont think thats what it was.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:51 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

didnt realize u already had the clutch, assumed you were going to buy one. if thats the case then why not put in the clutch? and your saying the shifter isnt aftermarket? ever have it off? under it, under the shift rod is a little plate that guides it into each gear as well, maybe it got ****ed up is what else im sayin. or something internal is ****ed and blocking the shift rod from moving that direction(doubt it tho, dunno wut it could be in there). i do think a clutch will be helpfull,but dont think itll fix it, i just dont see how that could cause it to only stay outa those gears... doesnt seem possible, but hey **** happens, i could be wrong.

and i concur -15... now that just sucks... i think heres its 11ish w a wind chill of -1/-2...
Old 02-06-2007, 03:03 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Mmmmm.... it's 60* in Dallas today. Sorry, I'm the *******.

If it's several gears, but not all of them it's either: bad sychros or the cable needs to be adjusted (quadrant, firewall adjuster, adj cable, etc.)......

Quick Reply: Figured out my tranny problem...i hope