5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mustang Guru Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 07:31 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

Default Mustang Guru Needed

Alrighty guys here we go again, adder, joel, mattdel, etc im sure you guys are gonna wanna kill me for posting this yet again, but ive got the money and time now to get her solved.

Problem. When warm, I can NOT pass 3k rpms without VIOLENT surging. This does not happen if the spout connector is unplugged however I feel a loss of power.

Again, this will only happen when the car is warm, if shes cold it will go all the way up through the rpm range.

Its a 1991 mustang gt with an auto tranny and 143k miles.

The last I was told, was I should replace the TFI module for about 30bucks, and if that doesnt work I should change the coil. Do we still agree with this as the next step?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang Guru Needed

Agree on the TFI replacement, not on the coil......if the coil was faulty above 3k rpms, it would be faulty with or w/out the SPOUT connected. If the problem persists with the replacement TFI module SPOUT connected.....the problem could be a faulty ECM
Old 02-06-2007, 09:17 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

Alrighty thanks for your help joel, one more quick question, if the tfi replacement doesnt work, could i advance my timing to say 14* if theres no ping, and run her without a spout connector?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:57 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

Agree on the TFI replacement, not on the coil......if the coil was faulty above 3k rpms, it would be faulty with or w/out the SPOUT connected. If the problem persists with the replacement TFI module SPOUT connected.....the problem could be a faulty ECM
I'd have to agree with joel, but have you put any thought into your exhaust system yet?
a broken cat can clog your exhaust and give you those same problems... Its exactly what my car did to me.

Also, just for the hell of it... Check your ground strap that runs to the motor on the drivers side. It attaches to the motor mount and runs to the chassis!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:07 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

good morning adder, thanks for the tips and suggestions, i will let you all know the final results today of what works and doesnt, thanks again!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:09 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

you really should try what one of the other members suggested, and loosen your header to mip pipe bolts slightly, enough to cause an exhaust leak...

take it for a quick jaunt and see if its any better. this will give you a good idea if the exhaust is clogged.

its also free, only costs you a little bit of time
Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

Well i accidentally have already tried that. The night i bought the car, quite awhile ago, i floored it and took her up to 5k, the exhaust pipe from the h pipe flew right off lol. I still had the problem though once she was warm though.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:12 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: 92cobra

Well i accidentally have already tried that. The night i bought the car, quite awhile ago, i floored it and took her up to 5k, the exhaust pipe from the h pipe flew right off lol. I still had the problem though once she was warm though.
not the exhaust pipe... im talking BEFORE the H pipe
Old 02-06-2007, 10:13 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

adder ive got another quick question, do you think my car would sound good with out mufflers? The local shop here can take off my mufflers and put in what he called a "z shaped" pipe. Would it sound better, be more/less restrictive, have bad back firing etc.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:14 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

oh before the h pipe, well considering its currently snowing, and almost negitave in temp outside, i doubt today would be the day to do it. However I will still go get the tfi module and have the shop install it for me. I would do it however i dont have the tool required and im sure they do.

Quick Reply: Mustang Guru Needed