5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I want nos but dont really know what to do. Can somebody help?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:15 PM
95ssn95
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I want nos but dont really know what to do. Can somebody help?!?

How long did they drive the high mile car after the test i wonder??
Old 02-06-2007, 10:20 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: AZsF1nest

Thanks for the advice. Honestly im not sure what the difference is between a dry and wet shot but i think the motor could take the 175 shot if i do everything right. Its a automatic so I dont think i will have to worry about the gears. But What is the difference? Between dry and wet?

There is a big difference between what YOU think, and what WE know...

Go ahead and spray 175... but were all gonna be laughing at you when your **** blows up
Old 02-06-2007, 11:35 PM
86/02stang
3rd Gear Member

If he mixed in race gas and retarded the timing the proper amount he MIGHT be able to pull off 175 with a wet kit. That is a big might though.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:40 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

nitrous is very unforgiving....if you don't even know the difference between a wet/dry shot you have a lot of research to do. start by using the search function here or google. definitely start with no more than a 100 shot...as you get more experienced you canswap the jets in a few minutes for more hp. i know people who've sprayed 150-200 shots on stock bottom 302's but they were very experienced with nitrous. you can post in the pipes/boost section or pm nitrous bob or fullauto for a setup etc as they are some of the more knowledgable nitrous members

btw don't call it nos (ie ricer talk)...that's a brand...it's nitrous or n20
Old 02-07-2007, 12:52 AM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

175hp isn't that much. The shortblock will take it without any problem (even if it were a hypereutectic shortblock). The catch is, the more you raise the shot size, the smaller the window for error. As long as the user knows what they're doing, the shortblock will take it. Does a 175hp shot blow up motors? All the time. A huge majority of nitrous users don't have a clue what they're doing. They get away with whatever shot they were running so they decide to raise it. They were probably on the edge with the first shot and over the edge when it's raised.

To the original poster, with a 175hp shot, you'll probably blow your motor up. The 175hp shot won't do it, you'll do it. If you don't know the difference between wet or dry, you don't need to rush into things. But your shortblock will take it... with the right user.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:41 AM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

one of my teachers is a HUGE nitrous guy. when he brings one of his nitrous cars out to the track for competion he literally goes through 10-15 10lb bottles, this guy is crazy. he said that you can throw a 200 shot to a 5.0 all day long. but like it was said before, it has to be set up correctly and used by a smart driver. if you just slap stuff together quick the motor def will not last
Old 02-07-2007, 01:46 AM
AZsF1nest
I ♥ Acer

Thanks TurboStang and Full Auto. I know I still have alot of research to do and I plan on doing it. The fact that people dont seem to understand that you can push your car to ceratin limits without hurting it is sad. But i know it can take a 175 shot because my friend has an 87 5.0 and he put a 220 shot. He told me that If i do everything right then I should be fine. But i wanted to know if I would have to get everything my friend put in his car to handle it.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:51 AM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

50 shot. Get a feel for it. The only way is the safe way. Nitrous is a big step. Do you have your subframe connectors yet?

And your looking to run nitrous? Or just NOS!!!
Proper terminaly is essential around here
Old 02-07-2007, 03:48 AM
musclemustang94
3rd Gear Member

I was doing some math and 19lb injectors aren't going to support more than a hundread shot. Unless they flow 19# at the stock fuel pressure. I dont know how they are rated. A dry system cuts off vaccum to the fuel pressure regulator and this is where you get the extra fuel, the pressure in your fuel system spikes to like 70 psi at the regualr WOT duty cycle. If you want to spray 175 I say you get a progressive nitrous controller, a window switch, anda plate system and spray it wet and I bet you would be fine with those forged pistons. Also, take out lots of base timing, probably down to 6 or 8 degrees. The rule of thumb is every 25 horsepower AFTER 100 being added, take out 2 degrees. I would also start off lower, like a 100 shot. Maybe 75 and mix in race gas for extra insuraunce. BE CAREFUL too. Remember with the 175 your adding 175 horsepower to your stock 225. Thats 400 horse and an obscene amount of torque. You'll probably break some ****, and that thing is going to get squirrley when it hits hahaha i am getting excited to get mine!
Old 02-07-2007, 12:35 PM
AZsF1nest
I ♥ Acer

Yeah I got my sub frame connectors already. I'm excited to spray NOS into my engine. Now I used the correct "terminology" not the correct terminally! i just thought thatwas funny that you tried to correct me incorrectly. But musclestang what shot you going to put in yours?

Quick Reply: I want nos but dont really know what to do. Can somebody help?!?