5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tires and Rims sizing

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:58 PM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

Default Tires and Rims sizing

Ok, so i got my car back from the shop about a month ago with the new heads, cam, and intake, and now it has a huuuuge traction problem (and i thought traction was bad before all that was installed!). If you ever punch it in first, the car goes side ways and the rpm needle goes crazy attempting to stay below the rev limiter. Even if you accelerate with about a third throttle to close to four grand (still in first) and then smoothly, yet quickly, make your way to wide open throttle, it still spins the rear wheels pretty easily. In second gear it gets a little bit better, but its still pretty terrible. If you try to do a quick 0-60 and only use 1/3-1/2 throttle through first and then punch it in second, it will spin the tires noticable as soon as it hits the thick of the powerband right around 4,500 rpm. Now ive done all of this in relatively cold weather (from 40-60 degrees air temp), but it still is really bad. Considering i have pretty much all the bolt on suspension peices, it has to be the tires. I really know very little when it comes to tires. The writing on the sidewalls is almost complete gibberish to me so ill just type it all out. The first line (obviously the brand and such) reads "g-Force T/A KDWS" and the second line reads "245/50 ZR16 97W M+S." Those are on what im pretty sure are the stock rims for an LX 5.0. Are these just crappy tires, or are they to small? Also, the tires have been on the car for around 5 years, though the car pretty much sat for 4 of those years so the tread is still pretty deep. There is surface dry rot along the most outside of the tread that is actualy slightly on the side wall of the tire. Are these just bad tires or should i buy new rims and tires that are bigger? And if bigger, what size? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:48 PM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Tires and Rims sizing

anyone?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:00 AM
africkanV6
5th Gear Member

use this if it helps any tire calculator.

and how do u like your tfs top end kit? u get the street heat combo? how does it sound and did u get a tune yet?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:39 AM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

No one has any suggestions for the largest tire size i should use?

I love my TFS kit. The power is incredible. I got the street heat kit because of the higher torque. The car sounds amazing. Its quite a bit louder and the roughness of the engine makes it sound like a beast. At idle it sounds rediculous. its almost a waste that i almost never hear it at idle from outside. It dies at stoplights periodicaly, ill have to look into that, and it runs kind of harsh (though i dont really mind now that ive driven it some more. The worst thing about the kit is the traction problem it creates. I now have an almost useless first gear. Hence the thread.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:47 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

im running nitto 275/50-15 drag radials and i have no problems hooking up. i think its the radials thats killing you now. as far as the dying at redlights you may need to raise the idle up a bit. i have to run 950 to 1000 rpm at idle with my holley systemax 2 kit or it will do the same.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:49 AM
africkanV6
5th Gear Member

u should get the fox dynotuned.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:23 AM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

Drag radials? On the street? Will 275 street tires hook up well enough though? And by the radials, do you mean how old they are or the fact that they are just 245s?

Dynotuned with what? I dont have an aftermarket chip yet. I have another thread going because im looking into getting one. I want to get it dynoed though, but since i will probably be getting a chip soon i think i might wait till then. And witht the dying, its running at right at 950 to 1000 for idle right now, but it sometimes drops down to around 800 and then to 500 and then die. I think i might need to raise it just a tad.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:27 AM
africkanV6
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chicogotgreen

Drag radials? On the street? Will 275 street tires hook up well enough though? And by the radials, do you mean how old they are or the fact that they are just 245s?

Dynotuned with what? I dont have an aftermarket chip yet. I have another thread going because im looking into getting one. I want to get it dynoed though, but since i will probably be getting a chip soon i think i might wait till then. And witht the dying, its running at right at 950 to 1000 for idle right now, but it sometimes drops down to around 800 and then to 500 and then die. I think i might need to raise it just a tad.

try cleaning ur fuel injectors, replace the fuel pump, and maybe sum new spark plugs if u havent changed them in a while.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:45 AM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

oh yah, and i forgot to mention in th begginig that the car has 2.5" lowering springs. [:@] That may have just a LITTLE effect on tire fitment.