5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Please help me because I am lazy and don't want to RTFM

Old 02-08-2007, 03:36 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Please help me because I am lazy and don't want to RTFM

ORIGINAL: frdmstng1986GT

ORIGINAL: samseed101

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

So its only aluminum intakes that need to be torqued down in a specific bolt pattern?
Is there a pattern for Iron too? I know that the lower has a pattern, but I wasn't sure about the upper. I added a 1" spacer so I never had to remove the lower.
all intakes, cast iron or aluminum or... sheet metal if you are a ricer()... have bolt patterns. it prevents from minor warping and chances for leaky intake gastkets.. .. usualy it is just work from the middle out in a circle.
I hope that was a joke right?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:19 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Every intake, whether made out of aluminum, iron, or grandma's two week old beef stroganov, requires a pattern tightening. If you clamp one end all of the way down, and continue toward the other end until finally the other end is done last, it won't clamp down as much. Same principle as the star pattern on a 5 lug. There is also the risk, in certain applications, of pushing the gasket around. The same goes for heads, etc.

Don't take this for law because it's an aluminum intake, but this is probably the sequence you're looking for. I'll leave specs alone because they will be different for iron. Don't forget to coat the bolts in 30w motor oil (which will probably also change specs)

Old 02-08-2007, 06:20 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frdmstng1986GT

ORIGINAL: samseed101

So its only aluminum intakes that need to be torqued down in a specific bolt pattern?
Is there a pattern for Iron too? I know that the lower has a pattern, but I wasn't sure about the upper. I added a 1" spacer so I never had to remove the lower.
all intakes, cast iron or aluminum or... sheet metal if you are a ricer()... have bolt patterns. it prevents from minor warping and chances for leaky intake gastkets.. .. usualy it is just work from the middle out in a circle.
I hope that was a joke right?
yes i was...... hence the wink.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:27 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LTnone

Every intake, whether made out of aluminum, iron, or grandma's two week old beef stroganov, requires a pattern tightening. If you clamp one end all of the way down, and continue toward the other end until finally the other end is done last, it won't clamp down as much. Same principle as the star pattern on a 5 lug. There is also the risk, in certain applications, of pushing the gasket around. The same goes for heads, etc.

Don't take this for law because it's an aluminum intake, but this is probably the sequence you're looking for. I'll leave specs alone because they will be different for iron. Don't forget to coat the bolts in 30w motor oil (which will probably also change specs)

I agree that that is a very helpful image. However, i know the pattern for the lower. I need the upper manifold pattern
Old 02-08-2007, 06:53 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

I suck...
If I were to guess, middle two, one side, then the other. But once again that's guessing. Haven't put mine on yet. It struck me odd that someone like you would ask that question
Old 02-08-2007, 06:56 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LTnone

I suck...
If I were to guess, middle two, one side, then the other. But once again that's guessing. Haven't put mine on yet. It struck me odd that someone like you would ask that question
LoL, yeah, info about the lower seems common, but the upper seems to be ignored. I'm just gonna work from the middle out and first hit 6, then hit 11 or so foot pounds.

I like your setup BTW. Curious what kinda nuymbers you are gonna pull when it's all said and done. I was soooo clsoe to going to the trick flow top end kit, but wussed out in the end [8D]