5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Supercharged Fuel System - Correct?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Glasersil
3rd Gear Member

Default Supercharged Fuel System - Correct?

These quotes are direct from Vortech.

1.) What spark plugs should I use with a Vortech supercharger system?

Always utilize the stock specified heat range for street legal applications. For continuous heavy-duty racing, off road use only, use one heat range colder than stock and reduce the gap to 0.032 to .040". (NOTE: the gap requirement varies per the application and intended use). It is suggested that you follow the manufacturers suggested recommendation for spark plugs. Do not use platinum plugs, as they are considered long life spark plugs and are not performance spark plugs. For higher performance engines, consult the spark plug manufacturers for their specific suggestions

** Why do most use 1-2 steps cooler plugs for street and gap them low? When they state to use stock gap ect.

2.) Can I use the Vortech T-Rex by itself?

Yes, the Vortech T-Rex fuel pump can operate independently. To properly function, the T-Rex should be fed by a high flow unrestricted hose route. The Vortech T-Rex fuel pump is custom made for Vortech, other fuel pumps by other manufacturers may resemble the T-Rex but are not capable of the 50 GPH at 70 PSI that the T-Rex is capable of

*** Why do most upgrade the stock pump to 255?

Just wondering why why why!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:49 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharged Fuel System - Correct?

they probably tell you that the colder plugs arent needed because they dont want complaints when people say they lost hp when not in boost after the install. colder plugs and smaller gap will cost you some hp. run 1 step colder and about .035 gap

i wouldnt use the t-rex pump alone. the t-rex with the stock pump is pushing it in my opinion. you cant get to much fuel on a return style fuel system. anything the pump sends to the motor the motor doesnt need just goes right back to the tank. i run a 255lph intank pump, the t-rex pump, and a methanol injection kit......hows that for fuel on demand
Old 02-08-2007, 10:44 PM
richs347
1st Gear Member

The extra compression of the supercharger boost will add heat to the engine. It's typically recommended to go one spark plug range colder to help reduce possible detonation. If the plug gets too hot it can cause detonation. You reduce the plug gap to make sure the spark can jump the gap under the boost psi trying to blow it out. If you never raced you car, sat in traffic most of the time, and once in awhile pushed it to 4500rpm - the stockgap and temp rangemay work fine.

If you run the stock 88lph fuel pump with the 255 T-Rex unit, the in-tank pump is a restriction. For example, if your normal system was set up for a regular drinking straw, and you put a coffee stirer at the front pick up point, it certainly won't work well. If youinstalla 255 or 190in-tank with a 255 in-line,the system is relatively even and the fuel flow shouldn't be much of an issue. Two pumps in series don't flow as well as two pumps in parallel (2 external pumps with a pick-up tube). the external pumps are great at pushing fuel, but are not the best for pulling fuel. Any fuel not used will return to the tank on a return system, however, the more you cycle the fuel the hotter the fuel gets. So try to get a system that is close to what you need. You could stick in a 255 in-tank with the the T-Rex and be fine. If you buy larger injectors (is your signature is accurate) you could probably just use a high pressure 255 in-tank with a good tune. Vortech recommends the T-Rex because the higher fuel pressures with the FMU have a greater fuel demand than a properly set up system with larger injectors and tune. The T-Rex has a good pressure rating as the fuel pressure increases.

http://mustangpartstech.com/FuelInjectorMath.html
http://mustangpartstech.com/WalbroFuelPumpFlow.html
Old 02-08-2007, 10:53 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: richs347

The extra compression of the supercharger boost will add heat to the engine. It's typically recommended to go one spark plug range colder to help reduce possible detonation. If the plug gets too hot it can cause detonation. You reduce the plug gap to make sure the spark can jump the gap under the boost psi trying to blow it out. If you never raced you car, sat in traffic most of the time, and once in awhile pushed it to 4500rpm - the stockgap and temp rangemay work fine.

If you run the stock 88lph fuel pump with the 255 T-Rex unit, the in-tank pump is a restriction. For example, if your normal system was set up for a regular drinking straw, and you put a coffee stirer at the front pick up point, it certainly won't work well. If youinstalla 255 or 190in-tank with a 255 in-line,the system is relatively even and the fuel flow shouldn't be much of an issue. Two pumps in series don't flow as well as two pumps in parallel (2 external pumps with a pick-up tube). the external pumps are great at pushing fuel, but are not the best for pulling fuel. Any fuel not used will return to the tank on a return system, however, the more you cycle the fuel the hotter the fuel gets. So try to get a system that is close to what you need. You could stick in a 255 in-tank with the the T-Rex and be fine. If you buy larger injectors (is your signature is accurate) you could probably just use a high pressure 255 in-tank with a good tune. Vortech recommends the T-Rex because the higher fuel pressures with the FMU have a greater fuel demand than a properly set up system with larger injectors and tune. The T-Rex has a good pressure rating as the fuel pressure increases.

http://mustangpartstech.com/FuelInjectorMath.html
http://mustangpartstech.com/WalbroFuelPumpFlow.html
Excellent description!!!

I run autolite 23's gapped at .030. No ping or spark blow out. 255 in tank and the external pump that came w/ my kit. No issues there either. 42# injectors w/ no fmu.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:00 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

alot of info in those two links. altho the top link says my new motor will need 60# injectors.......but it also says that at 50psi my injectors are like 47# (instead of being 42). im sure my meth kit will make up the difference
Old 02-08-2007, 11:56 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

I run parallel 255lph inlines with 60s.

I thought the T-Rex was a 190lph pump. Is there a 190lph and a 255lph version? Or is there just one rating for the T-Rex?
Old 02-09-2007, 01:11 AM
Glasersil
3rd Gear Member

I was told that the fox's have stock 88lph but the 94-95's come with 110. So my pump is better for the application, but i'm ordering a walbro 255 ASAP. I'm going to keep the fmu/stock injectors for now. But will plan on getting some 42's. I will put the autolite 24's in then I have them gapped at .035 and ready.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Glasersil
3rd Gear Member

Trex is 50GPH