5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rust inside engine, how to clean out??

Old 02-10-2007, 03:02 PM
91MustangGt
1st Gear Member

Default Rust inside engine, how to clean out??

Hey guys,

I was wondering if someone could tell me how I could clean out my engine from rust.
I put in a new radiator and put new water in and when i checked it it was really rusty. I've drained the radiator twice already and put in new water and let it cycle again and its still coming out really rusty, like a dark orange color, is there something I can put into my radiator that'll clean that out?? Or does anyone know of another method I can use to clean it out with out taking my engine apart??

Sigh! thanks guys- if its not one thing its another!!

Ben
Old 02-10-2007, 03:48 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rust inside engine, how to clean out??

Best way to do it is knock the freeze plugs out and flush it out with a water hose. It will get most of it out. But keep in mind the freeze plugs will have to be replaced. Make sure if you do this it is some plugs that you can easily put back in (new ones of course).
Old 02-10-2007, 04:01 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

NAPA has some cleaner in a blue plastic bottle can't remember the name but it a white powder...works great...or you can put a VERY small amount of TIDE power in rad
Old 02-10-2007, 04:23 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 91MustangGt

Hey guys,

I was wondering if someone could tell me how I could clean out my engine from rust.
I put in a new radiator and put new water in and when i checked it it was really rusty. I've drained the radiator twice already and put in new water and let it cycle again and its still coming out really rusty, like a dark orange color, is there something I can put into my radiator that'll clean that out?? Or does anyone know of another method I can use to clean it out with out taking my engine apart??

Sigh! thanks guys- if its not one thing its another!!

Ben
Ben, when you say you put in fresh water, you did use coolant as well, correct?

I would just use a good coolant flush kit. Maybe run the flush kit twice if it is really bad.
Just adding fresh water won't do much to get the crap out of the block...

jason

EDIT:
Has this car ever had DexCool in the radiator?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:50 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Orange...uh oh...sounds like DexCool garbage!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:56 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Also, just water will rust the block, and if that is what you have been using as coolant, that is why it is rusting. You have to have atleast a 50/50 blend with water and coolant.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:38 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

go spend $3 at napa or az and get a coolant flush kit

use it twice and it should look bright green
Old 02-10-2007, 06:21 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

don't use those flush kits and they do nothing for rust or really anything but flush your $$$$$.....the NAPA is the stuff
the best way is to have it reverse flushed but not to many places can do it any more
Old 02-10-2007, 07:29 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Its all in how the machine is hooked up. If the person knows how to use the equipment properlly. That how every machine is suppose to be hooked up. For a reverse flow cleaning. The people that hook it up to flush it in standard flow either havent been trained properlly or dont give a crap and rip you off..
ORIGINAL: 2 kwik

don't use those flush kits and they do nothing for rust or really anything but flush your $$$$$.....the NAPA is the stuff
the best way is to have it reverse flushed but not to many places can do it any more
Old 02-10-2007, 07:42 PM
chrisboss429

I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but I use CLR (calcium,lime,and rust) cleaneras a flush chemical and it works great. Keep in mind if radiators or other parts are pretty thin from rust this stuff will make the parts crumble. I will say... don't be suprised if your local radiator shop uses the same stuff to clean out radiators!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rust inside engine, how to clean out??