5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Will not start, please read on for details....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 01:29 PM
technique

Default Will not start, please read on for details....

Wow, Im a new owner to a 92 5.0 lx and I really did not want my first post to be about this but here go's, any input is greatly appreciated. I search for any similar cases such as mine and no luck...

I cleaned my engine bay this morning (sprayed degreaser then sprayed with a normal water hose) and gathered a lot of info on here just to double check I was not going to hurt anything before I did it. I usually do this by hand on my previous cars without spraying but this particular mustang has been neglected cleaning wise and I figured I would spray it down first. Ive had it about a week now and no problems what so ever so far until this.

Now it wont start, it will crank on me but not fire up.

I covered the battery, altinator and all ignition components.

I dont see how I could of got water into the engine, being it is sealed up.

I checked to make sure no fittings, vaccum lines, or any connections were sprayed loose. I did not use a pressure washer anyway just a garden hose.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated please go ahead. If you need any more info to help please ask.

Have a good day everyone,(at least have a better one than mine right now)
Old 02-11-2007, 02:03 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Will not start, please read on for details....

pull your distributor cap off and make sure there isnt any water in it
Old 02-11-2007, 02:07 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

spray some wd-40 inside the cap
Old 02-11-2007, 03:57 PM
technique

Thanks for the tips guys. Well since my last post, I got it to start a few times. But it was running rough, took it for a drive down the street and it was sputtering backfiring and bogging out. let it idle for a while turned it off and now it will not start again.

A little bit of more info: I recently took off the upper intake maifold to strip it and return it to stock (I had to paint it silver, I was striping and grinding for 2 days. There was like 3 past diffrent paint jobs on the thing because it was painted in some god awful black metal flake and who knows what else). I took note of the vaccum hose locations and to my knowlege they should all be installed in they're right location. I started it once and let it idle for some time(which at the this point it was fine) after I re intalled the upper iintake manifold (a few hours before) before I de-greased the engine. Could it be I have some of the vaccum hoses in the wrong location and that is causing this problem? I could provide pics to show everyone the current locations of the lines if anyone thinks that may be the problem.

Thanks for all the help.