MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Will some catback make my car louder? Video (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/243849-will-some-catback-make-my-car-louder-video.html)

Twisted 02-11-2007 05:03 PM

RE: Will some catback make my car louder? Video

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

Why would the car feel "softer" around town if you swap out your exhaust?
Because generally, going to a bigger diameter, less restrictiveexhaust (or intake runners for that matter) pushes your powerband higher, making thecar (or whatever) feel softer in the bottom end. This effect seems to multiply the closer you get to the exhaust ports themselves. I don't have experience with 5.0 exhausts in particular, but I assume it applies.

PRO50SC 02-11-2007 05:35 PM

Are you still running cats on the car? If so, change it out for an off road pipe and it will be considerably louder!!

w8less 02-11-2007 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

Are you still running cats on the car? If so, change it out for an off road pipe and it will be considerably louder!!
i don't normally do this but +1000 on that one

Twisted 02-11-2007 05:48 PM

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

I wouldn't want to run a car without cats...they're there for a reason, you know.:D Either way, I wouldn't go without cats because California cops don't think that sort of thing is funny...even a little bit.

Chitown racer 02-11-2007 05:48 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhh NO! Installing headers and say an x-pipe will not make your car "softer" as you say around town. As long as you dont get retared with the diameter.If youstick with 1 5/8" primary headers and the rest of the exhaust system in 2.5" pipe you should feel a significant gain as the stock system is very restrictive. Now maybe if you went with some 1 3/4" primary headers and a 3" off road mid-pipe and cat-back on a stock GT youmay feel a power loss down low however slight it would be. So, yeah, slap an X or Prochamber on thier and enjoy the noise.

Twisted 02-11-2007 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Chitown racer

Ahhhhhhhhhhh NO! Installing headers and say an x-pipe will not make your car "softer" as you say around town. As long as you dont get retared with the diameter.If youstick with 1 5/8" primary headers and the rest of the exhaust system in 2.5" pipe you should feel a significant gain as the stock system is very restrictive. Now maybe if you went with some 1 3/4" primary headers and a 3" off road mid-pipe and cat-back on a stock GT youmay feel a power loss down low.
Good. So the stock 5.0 exhaust is smaller than ideal. I remember in particular when I installed a full exhaust on my Integra GSR, it made the car slower in general...except at like 7k rpms. I guess it depends on how good the stock exhaust is to begin with. Good to know that your full exhaust didn't cause you to lose torque, but I've heard other say otherwise. I'm still mulling it over though...I may get a full exhaust just for the sound.:D

Chitown racer 02-11-2007 05:53 PM

Well a set of shorty headers and a catted X pipe would be just the ticket.

Twisted 02-11-2007 05:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Chitown racer

Well a set of shorty headers and a catted X pipe would be just the ticket.

That sounds good. Will I notice a good seat-of-the-pants gain from that?

Chitown racer 02-11-2007 05:59 PM

You really cant compare one type of car to another and yeah, if you want LOUD and have to run cats you'll probably be better off replacing those flowmaster mufflers you have with something alittle louder. The system with cats will always be quieter .

w8less 02-11-2007 06:00 PM

probably not but it will be noticeable