5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need help with my first 5.0..ford for that matter

Old 02-12-2007, 04:58 AM
redmustang83596
4th Gear Member

Default RE: need help with my first 5.0..ford for that matter

Or get a PMS from Anderson Ford and not have to re-tune everytime you get a mod
Old 02-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Chitown racer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: need help with my first 5.0..ford for that matter

First of all, aftermarket chips are worth the money in some cases. Most aftermarket chips are programmed with a nice safe one size fits all tune. It will be more powerful than the stock tune and for someone with a stock or bolt on only Stang its a cheaper alternative to a dyno tune.

In your case however,I highly recommend a "dyno tune". The reason being once you start changing things like heads, cams, and intakes your engines air and fuel requirements are altered too drastically and the stock computer cant compensate. The best course of action would be to find out where the local Mustang crowd hangsout and ask them where they take thier Stangs to be dyno tuned. Dyno tuning is basically where a shop straps your car to the chassis dyno and runs it through a series of tests whileanalyzing at the very leastAir/Fuel ratio,rear wheel horsepower, and torque. From those readings an experienced tuner can make adjustments to your stock computers fuel and timing calibrationsand optimize things like idle, drivability, horsepower, and torque. He then takes these new calibrations and burns them to an "aftermarket chip" which plugs into the back of your stock computer. On the newer Mustangs they load the tune into a hand held flash tuningdevice and flash burn thenew calibrations directly to the stockcomputers memory chip.

Another option would be to buy an aftermarket tuning device like a TwEECer or PMS, then get yourself a good datalogging set upand learn to tune yourself. It can get expensive, be very time consumming and for some frustrating at times, but if your a hardcore do it yourself type it might be the way to go.

As for the injectors, definately change them to 24#ers as with those mods the 19's arent the best choice. One thing you should be aware of is that C&L MAF meter is whats called a "calibrated MAF". Without getting too technical, C&Luses a series of different sample tubesdesigned to alter the MAF's signal. This allows you to use the same MAF meterno matter what size injectors you decide to use. You simply choose the right color coded sample tube thats ratedforwhicheversize injectors your installing and swap it out with the tube thats in your meter now andaccording to C&L your ready to go. However thier has been much controversy amongst Tuners and Mustang enthusiasts over the use of so called "calibrated MAF's". Personally I look at it the same way as I do the mailorder tuned chips, If your on a budget and your Stang is stock or just has some bolt ons you can probably get away with it, but once you start making some powerthen its time to dyno tune.

As far as changing the cam goes, dont go with the the F303 cam. As good as the good old FMS letter cams were thierare far better choices available these days. Crane and Comp have some excellent cams for the 5.0, alsoAnderson Ford has a nice selection ofupdated grinds and we cant forget Trick Flows version of the E303 the TFS Stage 1 cam. Look around the boards before you decide on a cam,thier are tons of goodthreads devoted to cam selection.

Hope I've helped, keep us posted on your progess, and of course, if ya have anymore questions feel free to ask.