MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   holley systemax kit or trick flow???? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/244671-holley-systemax-kit-or-trick-flow.html)

brenstang 02-13-2007 01:53 AM

holley systemax kit or trick flow????

i just bought a 1989 gt, and its getting ready to under go some modifications.. Ive been wanting to get a good set of heads and intake manifold and have been looking into the trickflow kits and have been hearing good things.. But someone told me to look into the holley kit.. Which kit puts out more performance does anyone know? or recommend one over the other? It looked like the holley kit had a bigger cam than the trickflow kit..

gspfunk 02-13-2007 02:11 AM

RE: holley systemax kit or trick flow????

Either are great kits. IMO, the TFS kit has more potential due to the larger valves. A little port work will make them flow like a sumumma beesh. That and the fact that the valves are rotated creates a little more clearance. I think you can get the TF kit w/ the Stage 2 cam, but I could be wrong. It will have plenty of lift for you.

Figure out what you want the end result to be and pick the kit that best suits your needs. You can get AFR's seperately and then piece together the rest of the combo and probably come out about the same or a little cheaper if you get a used intake and cam.

brenstang 02-13-2007 02:18 AM

i read in one of the 5.0 magazines that for how small the ports are on the trickflow heads they perform and flow really well.. so i was thinking of going with the trickflow kit and getting the heads ported. but im not sure how much a local shop would charge for a port job.

essentially im trying to build a full bolt on car that will run mid high 12's and then supercharge it over summer..

in the trickflow kit does it come with a stage one cam or a different trickflow cam?

nmerrill 02-13-2007 02:35 AM

it comes with the stage 1

94ford5liter 02-13-2007 02:40 AM

I would just go with AFRs and get the intake manifolds and cam seperately. Trick flows make quite a bit less power, and once you port them you will have a lot more money in them than just going with AFRs. If you go with one of the kits though, I would go with holley.

88BlueGT 02-13-2007 03:30 AM

f*ck the tf kit ;)

PearlWhiteGT 02-13-2007 11:01 AM

Get some AFR 165's & find an used intake, cam,etc...

brenstang 02-13-2007 10:48 PM

i havent got the chance yet to price everything seperate, if its about the same price to go with the afr heads and a different intake manifold and cam i would really like to go that route.

BRizzle2208 02-13-2007 10:53 PM

you will pay more to buy all of it separate but it will be worth it. the afr heads are a lot better and you can find a better intake and cam too

brenstang 02-13-2007 11:06 PM

yeah i just bought the car, and today i found out it leaks and has some other little issues.. So im getting ready to pull the motor out of it soon and get a 347 stroker kit is what im thinking.. I have a 96gt aswell, so while i own both cars im gonna pull apart the 89..
will the afr's raise the compression of the motor if it wasa 347?