5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Started my car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 01:47 PM
nostang
2nd Gear Member

Default Started my car!!!

Great to hear you got it running,did you check to see if the fuse for the instment cluster is ok?Are all the wires hooked up to the sensors?What year stang is it?Hope you get it fixed an running great!
Old 08-04-2003, 02:29 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

It's a 1991 Notch . Emerald green with black trim. Well the thing about the guages is that the Couagr I got the motor from haddigital guages , so i couldn't use the wiring harness from those guages. I am trying to get the originalguage harness from the 4 bangerto work. I am having a guy come tonight and bring his timing light so we can get the timing down.Hopefully I can get those aftermarket guages in by this weekend but I have to order the pod on the internet , probably wont get it here for a week or so with my luck. My main concern right now is getting some exhaust on it soI can drive it around.As much as I like the way open long tube headers sound , it sounds like hell. It is soloud I can't tell if the engine is making any funny noises. Also we can't really test drive it to much where I live so we can't shake down all the problems until we get the exhaust on and drive it around some. So far we have only had a small water leak which i fixed yesterday , and my fuel pressure regulator is leaking alittle . I'm having some trouble getting the back up lights switch to work sinceit ismounted on my new shifter now. I got the neutral safety switch going ok but the back up lights won't work. The only thing that has me worried is that my fuel pump stays on when the ignition is on. It doesn't cut off after a few seconds since I don't have the computer anymore. I'm afraid it might mess something up , might even be why the regulator is leaking. I can't test out the back up lights for right now because of the fuel pump staying on. I think tonight I'll run a switch to the pump and just not turn it on until I want to start the engine. That way I can have the ignition on if i am just setting listening to the radio or defrosting the windows orsomething without worrying about that damn pump running . That pump is way louder than my stock in tank one to. Not that you can here it when the engine is going , you can barely keep your sanity for that mater. It feels awsome driving it now though. I felt like a loser getting smoked my Hondas in my 4 banger stang. hehehe , it was horrible. Whenever a car would pull up and rev its engine I would just act like I didn't want to race so i wouldn't get embarrassed haha. But now I'll be proud to drive my stang around. Just needs paint and some new wheels! Can't drive with my primer colored hood , faded paint and crappy wheels to long or I'll be put on ricecop.com</P>
Old 08-04-2003, 02:40 PM
nostang
2nd Gear Member

The white wire with red stripe goes to the oil pressure sender,the red wire with the white stripe goes to the water temp,the yellow wire with the white stripe goes to the fuel sender.Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:44 PM
nostang
2nd Gear Member

oops,I forgot,purple wire with the orange stripe is the hot side of the reverse switch,black wire with the pink stripe goes to the reverse light bulbs,see if this helps.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:10 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Awsome man , I think thats exactly what I needed to know about the reverse light switch! And as far as the other guages I bet I can get them working now. Thanks alot man this is really going to help. I will get on it as soon as I get home and try to let you know what happened tonight. Just to make sure I am messing with the correct wiring , this is the harness with the brown connector that comes into the engine bay to the right of the master cylinder ? In the right hand corner if you face the engine bay? The connector is brown
Old 08-04-2003, 11:20 PM
makarovboy
2nd Gear Member

Ragnarok, that's outstanding. I don't think most people understand the work that goes into this swap. If you're guy can't get the gauges working, call the people at Painless and explain what's going on. They make some outstanding harnesses and can answer your questions.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:06 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Thats a good idea . I have heard great things about painless . yeah I thought this would be a fairly easy swap but found that not to be true. But I base that mostly on my lack of knowledge. If I could go back in time with the knowledge i have now it would have been WAY easier. The key is getting everything you need together first thing. and the best way is to BUY A DONOR CAR ! I bought an 88 cougar which worked out for the most part but left me with crappy heads and a guage harness that wont work. Pretty much everything else was ok.I drove it tongiht after the timing was set and it was awsome ! The choke keeps getting stuck and causing it to idle really high every once in a while but other than that it is ready for xhaust and the the street.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:14 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Nostang - Hey i didn't get to fool around much with the wiring tonight , we had severe thunderstorms here. I did get the Water temp mostly done. I took the Red wire w/ White stripe and ran it to the Water temp sensors' Red W. White stripe , but where does the other wire from the sensor go? I can't remember for sure but I think it was Purple with Yellow stripe. Might have been black thoughbecause it was real dirty.Is it a ground or something, or does is go to the harness somewhere to? Thanks for the help by the way I'll try to do some more work on it tomorrow if it does rainor anything.</P>
Old 08-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Turtle

Congrats! There's nothing like finally seeing you hard work pay off!
Old 08-06-2003, 06:18 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Hey Nostang I am having trouble getting the wiring to work on the guages. Can you help me out alittle more? Does the harness need power or anything? Sorry for asking so much but i gotta try to get some of the guages working by tomorrow. I had a terrible experiance trying to get the car to the muffler shop and alot of things were going haywire. Car overheated and I didn't know till to late because the water temp guage doesn't work still. My turn signals don't work for some reason either. I am going to spend some time on this stuff today and try to figure it out but can you elaborate at all on what to do? Thanks for the help so far , atleast I know which ones to start with!

Quick Reply: Started my car!!!