5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cutting Coil Springs to Lower

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 01:35 PM
prossett

Default Cutting Coil Springs to Lower

Went to see the local suspension "garage" and asked about lowering an inch or so and how they would do that... they promptly replied no problem, we cut off a bit of the coil spring!!!

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:40 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cutting Coil Springs to Lower

I don't like it. From a technical standpoint springs are actually a science, they wire is drawn, wound then heat treated to attain the right load capacity. Taking away from that will actually lower your vehicle, but you then sacrifice total spring travel and stability. Lowered springs are designed to attain a somewhat greater load rating therfore limiting to some degree the amount of travel on the spring to prevent "washing" out the spring or excessive bottoming out. Cutting an engineered spring is redneck mechanics. By a set of springs, they are not that expensive.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:26 AM
prossett

I agree, and I'm not planning for it, I'm just curious as to what the result would be.. I suppose a very stiff harsh ride, where you bounce over every bump and your head keeps falling off your shoulders...

Does anyone know if for the same spiral a shorter length spring makes for a harder compression, or is the force required to compres it the same irrespective of length, if the spiral is the same.

In other words, given two identical spirals, but one longer than the other, does the compression change?

You can tell I didn't take physics...
Old 02-15-2007, 04:35 AM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

dont have anyone freakin cut your springs........IF you are gonna do it, do it you're self!! OH and dont cut the springs if you are going though the hastle of paying someone to lower your car get some ford racing B OR C springs. if you do that you will have good springs and a good lowering job......dont pay anyone to do something that you can do youre self.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:49 AM
94ford5liter
4th Gear Member

Cutting springs is definitely not the way to go. It makes the car ride like absolute crap lol. Anyways, just get some decent lowering springs, if your stock ones are old and warn out should improve your handling some and make it look better.