5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

creating a maf

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 08:08 PM
amhsraptor
2nd Gear Member

Default creating a maf

i currently upgraded my maf to a 90mm and gave my stock to my friend. he was curious if he could take the maf sensor out of the stock and put it in another tube like a metal pipe with a larger diameter? since the stock maf is calibrated for 19lb injectors(which he still has) is it also calibrated for the diameter of the tube(stock 55mm)? he was looking at putting the maf senser in a 75mm diameter.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:16 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: creating a maf

if you make the maf larger your car will run horribly lean, assuming it runs at all. the maf has a small sampling tube in it that is part of the calibrations. c&l makes maf that work similar to what you want to do but your plan will not work. the computer will not know that the maf is larger and that more air is going through so it wont add any more fuel
Old 02-15-2007, 08:19 PM
amhsraptor
2nd Gear Member

so when you buy an aftermarket maf it knows the diamater of the tube?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:54 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Think of it like this:

You put the sensor in a bigger tube it's going to register a lower voltage when the same ammount of air is coming through. So it will be off & will need to be recalibrated to work right like that.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:58 PM
amhsraptor
2nd Gear Member

but it seems to be the same size as the one on my 90mm so thats why we thought it would work. what if he made a 65mm maf?
Old 02-15-2007, 11:44 PM
amhsraptor
2nd Gear Member

bump
Old 02-15-2007, 11:50 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

You cannot mix and match the MAF tube and sensor.
It just won't work.

The explanations above are pretty decent,

If you want a bigger MAF on a Fox Mustang you have 2 choices.
1. Go aftermarket and buy the appropriate MAF/MAS combo for your computer and injectors.
2. If you are using 19lb injectors and an A9* computer, then you can use the MAF tube and sensor from a 94-95 Mustang. This is a 70mm aluminum housing with MAS 'F2VF'.

There is a third option, which is custom tuning, but that seems a little beyond the intent of this thread.

Your 90mm MAF -
Is it a Lightning or Granatelli or other?
How is the car running since the swap?

jason
Old 02-15-2007, 11:58 PM
amhsraptor
2nd Gear Member

i need a bigger tb, probably a 70mm. but its a granatelli. looks like a chevy or gm maf with a converter that plugs right in. car runs much better i have an e cam and it just sounds smoother. it used to jerk when you tried to stay below 2k rpms but not anymore, and its not burning rich anymore. its getting enough air but will need more for the plans i have
Old 02-16-2007, 12:55 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amhsraptor

i currently upgraded my maf to a 90mm and gave my stock to my friend. he was curious if he could take the maf sensor out of the stock and put it in another tube like a metal pipe with a larger diameter? since the stock maf is calibrated for 19lb injectors(which he still has) is it also calibrated for the diameter of the tube(stock 55mm)? he was looking at putting the maf senser in a 75mm diameter.
I thought this needed some clarification

Ford NEVER calibrated ANY MAF meter to an injector size. All Ford MAF meters are calibrated to the computer. The computer contains a setting which tells it which MAF is being used. The Ford computer has another setting for what injectors are being used.
The aftermarket 'calibrated' MAF meters actually lie to the computer about how much air is flowing into the motor, which allows correct AFR ratios when larger than stock injectors are being used.

Hope that clears it up a little,
jason
Old 02-16-2007, 12:59 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amhsraptor

i need a bigger tb, probably a 70mm. but its a granatelli. looks like a chevy or gm maf with a converter that plugs right in. car runs much better i have an e cam and it just sounds smoother. it used to jerk when you tried to stay below 2k rpms but not anymore, and its not burning rich anymore. its getting enough air but will need more for the plans i have
I believe they use a Ford 90mm LMAF, and just rescale the output of the sensor. I could be wrong though.

I think most of the GM MAF sensors are actually frequency type meters. They work in a different way than the Ford MAF meters.

If it was the LMAF, then the plug would have been 6 pins wide with a rectangular-ish connector. The outer 2 pins would not be used. Also, the housing would be black plastic.

What are the future plans that require such a big MAF meter.
I will be using the LMAF on my 410w soon, but doubt I will use all of its potential.
jason

Quick Reply: creating a maf